+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: ot - The Ukranian war

ot - The Ukranian war

Largely overshadowed by other events shall we say in the last few days .

However the Ukrainian forces have made massive gains in the last few days and recaptured much of the land , towns and cities they lost earlier in the war , around 700 square miles .

The Russians have basically fled for their lives leaving behind a huge number of tanks and some serious ammunition .

I understand from what I've just read that they are within 30 miles of the Russian border in the North East of the country .

This is a really important breakthrough for the Ukrainian forces making victory ever more likely .

Brilliant news .

They need to keep pushing until every blade of grass is won back then let’s hope that the Russian people start to take off those rose coloured glasses and see Putin for what he is, then let’s hope they have the balls to deal with him once and for all.

I'm not convinced this war is still happening , Billions of pounds have been spent on weaponry etc , is it propaganda ? Nearly 6 months of constant bombing, people fleeing for safety , others returning and going on holiday ? It's a wonder any building's , towns or cities are still standing , I hope it ends soon ! and the Russians are defeated , we can't keep sending weapons can we ? Although as a nation it's something we are pretty good at ! "Somebody will be making money out of selling arms !".

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    I'm not convinced this war is still happening , Billions of pounds have been spent on weaponry etc , is it propaganda ? Nearly 6 months of constant bombing, people fleeing for safety , others returning and going on holiday ? It's a wonder any building's , towns or cities are still standing , I hope it ends soon ! and the Russians are defeated , we can't keep sending weapons can we ? Although as a nation it's something we are pretty good at ! "Somebody will be making money out of selling arms !".
    There's no doubt the Ukrainians have benefited enormously from the weapons we and the other NATO country's have provided .

They are also benefiting hugely from our top military advisors plus we've also provided them with the very best in communications equipment far superior to anything the Russians have .

The real difference is the will and motivation of the Ukrainians to drive them out of their land and back over the border .

You can't put a price on that and what lengths people are prepared to go to save their country from getting taken over by another and inflicting their ideology on them .

The worry is that Putin is going to have to save face .

That opens up all kinds of possibilities .

I know it's not a laughing matter but it really made me smile this morning when I heard about the Ukrainians blowing up the Russia- Crimea bridge. These guys may be outnumbered but they aren't half using their heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Arblasterfromthepast View Post
    I know it's not a laughing matter but it really made me smile this morning when I heard about the Ukrainians blowing up the Russia- Crimea bridge. These guys may be outnumbered but they aren't half using their heads.
    A real humiliation for Putin , the bridge was symbolic apparently as well as a v ital route of passage timed to coincide with Putin's 70th birthday .

Just a matter of time before the Russians are run out of Ukraine , what happens after that is concerning but ultimately down to the Russian people and Putin's inner circle .