+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Barnsley players go underground

Barnsley players go underground

The Reds visited the National Coal Mining Museum to learn more about our heritage as a mining town.

Playing and coaching staff were treated to a tour of the grounds, before being lowered down the 140m lift shaft, to experience conditions directly on the coalface, understanding the hardships and struggles miners suffered in cramped, dusty conditions.

Navigating tight walkways and low ceilings, it was an immersive experience for everyone involved.

Through the hardships faced came a sense of community, camaraderie and unity. The culture being formed at pits across the country was unique to mining, and plays a significant part in the history of our town.

Appreciating this undeterred spirit and 'graft' and to showcase what forms the heart of the town was the thinking behind the visit.

Sign in or register to watch

Our first team players and staff visiting the National Coal Mining Museum in Wakefield to learn about the history of our great town.

Head Coach, Michael Duff, emphasised this sentiment: "We came to get an understanding what the town is built on, essentially.

"The supporters that are watching us every week, the families, friends, what they have had to go through to be able to come to a game.

"It's just to give a bit of an eye-opener [to the players] that they do live privileged lives. If they are getting a little bit of stick it's because the supporters, whether it's recently or generations down the line, have had to fight pretty hard to get to where they are."

Jordan Williams was one of the Reds players to venture into the mine and learn more about the mining industry and what conditions were like for the workers.

Being a local lad, Williams is familiar with the spirit of Barnsley people, but felt he learned even more about the town where he has plyed his trade for four years.

"It was good for some of the lads who are not from around here to get a closer look at what the town has been through in the past. It makes us a bit more humble about what we do as a job compared to what has gone on in the past.

"It has been a bit of team bonding as well, get away from football and do something a bit different."

Guiding the team at every step of the way were ex-miners who now work at the museum, with the aim of educating the public and recalling tales from their time at the coalface.

Peter Bagshaw works for UK Coal as an IT/Systems engineer and saw the team at the museum. He did however have a bone to pick with one member of the Reds squad: "As a lifelong supporter it was great to see the team at Caphouse Colliery."

"In the warm-up before the Wycombe game, I was just having a coffee from my flask when a wayward shot from Jordan Williams flew into the stand, hitting me at the back of the head and splashing hot coffee all over me.

"I had the pic with Jordan Williams taken and I used it to pull the legs of friends, saying they came to Caphouse to see me and apologise, it gets a few laughs!"

Everyone at Barnsley Football Club would like to thank the National Coal Mining Museum for their hospitality and for taking the time to teach us more about an integral part of our heritage.

Went there quite a few years back with my daughter on a school trip - can recommend it.

I remember Alan Clark doing the same thing taking the players to see how hard the supporters had to work to support the Reds.

Bet they put the white dust out

I suddenly want to sing 'Going underground', by The Jam. 😁

Nice touch by Duff that. He's obviously a genuine blowk who is properly growing on me.

It is truly an eye opening experience going darn theear in that cage and seeing what men and kids did for a living over the period from the industrial revolution to the closure of the pits in the 1990s .

Am a grafter missen but mining is different gravy. Hopefully our players can take something from that experience and use it in their lives to make the most of the position that they are in.

Times have changed but the work ethic remains among many Barnsley folk. It's in our blood. If the players continue to show the work ethic, they will be liked and respected by Barnsley folk win or lose