+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cambridge United v Barnsley Match Thoughts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cambridge United v Barnsley Match Thoughts

Long long time since we visited The Abbey Stadium , if memory serves me right it was a 3-0 win in April 1984 under Bobby Collins .
    I don't recall another game since but happy to be proved wrong .

Cambridge have made a solid start to the season and a tough if very winnable game awaits .

I can genuinely say I haven't a clue how this one will go.

I don't know the strengths or weaknesses of the Cambridge team compared to us.

We are inconsistent.

Any result is possible.

One of my less frequented grounds , been once , early 80s think Norman Hunter was our Manager ? A few thousand Reds there that day , lost 1-0 and we were satin what looked like a ttemporary stand , remember an Airfield behind the home stand ? Maybe it was a cup game ? !

I was at a cup game in the 80’s when we lost 1-0. Didn’t George Riley (crouchesque) give us problems in those days.

We lost there in season '91, when a young upcoming cheat called Dion Dublin scored against us. And in season '92 we won there thanks to Wayne Biggins two goals. I can't remember us going there since.

I remember being sick of the sight of them in season '82, we started six matches against them and only finished five!.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    We lost there in season '91, when a young upcoming cheat called Dion Dublin scored against us. And in season '92 we won there thanks to Wayne Biggins two goals. I can't remember us going there since.

I remember being sick of the sight of them in season '82, we started six matches against them and only finished five!.
    Yep your right , early 90's completely forgot about Dublin and Steve Claridge , they'd a good side back then .

Weren't they a very physical and direct 'Wimbledon' type team for some years, under John Beck ?.
    And I hear they used to take it further by sabotaging the away teams dressing room and the facilities etc.
    Nobody ever liked or felt comfortable visiting their Abbey stadium ground.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    I was at a cup game in the 80’s when we lost 1-0. Didn’t George Riley (crouchesque) give us problems in those days.
    That's him Eths , Big , Raw sod , it cudda been him that got winner ,

They have two of our ex players who I wish were with us now, George Williams who I thought was a very underrated player who never let us down & Paul Digby who is a very talented footballer who has been blighted with injuries but thankfully his luck seems to have turned the corner & is enjoying playing regularly again , I know as a club you cannot hang on to every player but I genuinely think that these two would improve our side .

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post

why was that ?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast