+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: NUFC vs Bournemouth

We have 5 points more than at this time last season, whether that is good enough after £170 million invested on players is only something the big guys in Riyadh will know.

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    It’s a game of fine margins. If just one of our shots at goal in each of the Palace and Bournemouth games is 3 inches more on target then everyone would be bouncing at the moment.
    Too many of our better players were flat yesterday.
    Joelinton and Fraser came close a couple of times. And they're not the ones we should rely on for goals.

Yep, fine margins is the key. Just takes things to shift a little either way for us to have had a great or a terrible result.

Yesterday was really the first poor performance in a long line of decent and very good ones.

I take your point about the money spent, Kal but what I would say is that it would be more relevant to my thinking if we hadn't been deprived of points by incompetent (and I'm being kind, there) officials. Yes, I know that can happen in any game, but the shocking decisions and non-decisions that have afflicted us this season have had a massive bearing on where we are. When you factor that into the equation along with the fine margins then I don't think we can judge where we are accurately. And certainly not enough for some of our fans on social media to be having a pop at Howe and the owners, ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    We have 5 points more than at this time last season, whether that is good enough after £170 million invested on players is only something the big guys in Riyadh will know.
    Beware of statistics. 5 points more in 7 games is a lot better than 5 more points after 20 games, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Yep, fine margins is the key. Just takes things to shift a little either way for us to have had a great or a terrible result.

Yesterday was really the first poor performance in a long line of decent and very good ones.

I take your point about the money spent, Kal but what I would say is that it would be more relevant to my thinking if we hadn't been deprived of points by incompetent (and I'm being kind, there) officials. Yes, I know that can happen in any game, but the shocking decisions and non-decisions that have afflicted us this season have had a massive bearing on where we are. When you factor that into the equation along with the fine margins then I don't think we can judge where we are accurately. And certainly not enough for some of our fans on social media to be having a pop at Howe and the owners, ffs.
    I don’t read much social media but it’s ok for fans to criticize Howe and the players after a sub standard performance so long as they’re not suggesting stupidity like replacing Howe.

Beggars belief the stupidity on Social Media - makes you wonder how they manage to muster enough intelligence to sign up.

I'm desperate to have ASM back - he gives another option. And nothing is happening before the next window so we need to get on with it. I'm happy for fewer signings of more quality from here on out.

We already have the basis of an amazing team - something I would never have thought possible just a year ago.

Even though we'd love to sign a whole new bench, today's market makes that impossible with FFP. I'd be happy to see us taking a chance with young players like Elliott and Lewis because we've pretty much seen what the others have to give. Every time Murphy hops off the bench, my eyes roll because you know what you're gonna get there. Likewise with Chris Wood - why bother - unless you're going to try to fizz crosses in.

Anyway, I know the gaffer will get it right. Just frustrating when the plan doesn't come together...

Quote Originally Posted by toptoon View Post
    I don’t read much social media but it’s ok for fans to criticize Howe and the players after a sub standard performance so long as they’re not suggesting stupidity like replacing Howe.
    Howe is an amazing coach.That said,I cant get my head around the fact that we were constantly fizzing in crosses when clearly that is not what Isak is all about.Howe admitted that we consistently failed to play to his strengths.Granted we missed Maxi in that respect but surely in training they would figure out how to MAXImise Isak's strengths.

We all need to realise that the clubnis still playing catch up to most of the PL after years of neglect. Also yesterday's performance was below par but on the other hand Bournemouth played well and ame for the point.
    I don't like to play down any club or team but we will see more of this sitting back from clubs of Bournemouths standing and we need to invest in players to give us the edge to break them down. It will take time.
    Also seem to remember a few on here wanted rid of Maxi and couldn't wait to get on his back. How we missed him yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post

You rightly point the decisions and VAR decisions going against us Zip, and they say things level out over a season.

But look at the boot on the other foot, I can think of about a dozen situations which have gone against us but try your hardest to find us gaining an advantage from a mistaken decision or a wrong VAR call.

I would call that very fishy indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie1974 View Post
    We all need to realise that the clubnis still playing catch up to most of the PL after years of neglect. Also yesterday's performance was below par but on the other hand Bournemouth played well and ame for the point.
    I don't like to play down any club or team but we will see more of this sitting back from clubs of Bournemouths standing and we need to invest in players to give us the edge to break them down. It will take time.
    Also seem to remember a few on here wanted rid of Maxi and couldn't wait to get on his back. How we missed him yesterday.
    Good post.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)