+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Earliest Oakwell hero's ?

First was Les Lea, Ali Miller was a favourite, Phil chambers too. Gwyn Thomas was later favourite. Big Trev too.

[QUOTE=SBRed48;40126413]Those who have been fans for decades will remember my earliest heroes in the early/ mid 1960's at Oakwell ----

Jim Baxter
    Ken Oliver
    Eric Winstanley
    Pat Howard (laiked wi him in Doduth Kere Rooad Sec Mod schooil team)[/QUOTE Pat Howard wunce teld me to F off fo bangin ont dressing room winda askin fo autographs , dint like him afta that " Big Blonde earrd Bully " !

[QUOTE=Romared;40126568]
    Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Those who have been fans for decades will remember my earliest heroes in the early/ mid 1960's at Oakwell ----

Jim Baxter
    Ken Oliver
    Eric Winstanley
    Pat Howard (laiked wi him in Doduth Kere Rooad Sec Mod schooil team)[/QUOTE Pat Howard wunce teld me to F off fo bangin ont dressing room winda askin fo autographs , dint like him afta that " Big Blonde earrd Bully " !
    Tha cud smell the wintergreen in the dressing room through that oppun winda under West Stand, and hear them using a lot of naughty words as they geed each other up for the match.

Barry Thomas
    Johnny Evens
    Jimmy Robson
    We rose from the depths of despair !!!

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    David Currie and Steve Agnew when I first started going. Quality footballers.
    Yeah that was a good time as a fan, back in about '88 I think, if Currie and Agnew were in the same team. Ive said on here before that there was some real potential with that team, and it fell apart bit by bit the following year sadly.
    My earliest hero's though were in '81, and it was the backbone of the team that stood out the most, namely McCarthy & Evans, Glavin & Banks, and Aylott & Parker.
    Great memories. 😀

In post millennium times I'd pick out Brian Howard, Anderson De Silva, Connor Hourihane, Sam Winnall, Heinz Muller, Bobby Hassell, Adam Hammill, Danny Nardiello, Martin Devaney.

Jamal Campbell Ryce

Not sure which era Gorrey was from. I remember him but can’t recall his exploits.

I also liked Howard and Barrowclogh, reminded me of Billy Casper, 6 ston wet through.

Quote Originally Posted by EthelRed View Post
    Not sure which era Gorrey was from. I remember him but can’t recall his exploits.

I also liked Howard and Barrowclogh, reminded me of Billy Casper, 6 ston wet through.
    Is that Dean Gorre Eths or sumbdy else? If it was Dean he was a great player to watch from the early 2000s. Dint spend much time here but the games he played he was class.

Martin Gorry played between 75 and 77 then went to Newcastle. Dean was here 01-04. I liked them both.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast