+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing "Teflon Steve Gerrard"

I must must have worded that wrong. I liked Deano but i didn't even know who he was prior to him being our manager. I was open minded when he came in but i wasnt excited like when MON came in or even Gerrard to point. Poggy is a ***y appointment (no i dont fancy him). Raffa 10 years ago would have been a ***y appointment (no i dont fancy him either) but you get my drift. Dyche just sounds boring but could be a better option to Poggy.

You’d need to be Alan Turing to decipher this Bongo

Deano is the luckiest manager, that I have ever seen at VP.

Jack, back from injury, pulled us through the 10 games. Before Jack’s return, we were doomed.

Fk knows how we got past the boggies in the play-of SF?

Very lucky v derby, both goals flukey.

Covid kept us up in that 1st season.

And the 7-2? Quite a few deflected goals, and an Ollie slip for his second.

Much of DS’s time without Jack, was devoid of ideas, passion, and skill. More evidence is when Jack left. DS liked buying sh1t wingers to boot.

Very lucky indeed.

But then, many say that a lucky manager often trumps a good one.

Well I would not say Deano was great but he truly was' one of our own' to think he carried while his dad was dying speaks volumes for the man, his emotion in his voice after getting promoted brought a tear to my eye. Playing attractive football is a gift not many teams possess! He unleashed Jack, made him Capt, the rest is history. You can always pick the bones out of any situation and say we were lucky, were we not lucky to lift the greatest trophy in club football in 82, literally one shot on goal and battered for 90 mins, but at the end of the day, who cares! If we win tomorrow, I will not question anything, its when we lose and all of a sudden we want a full autopsy. I actually do not think we are far away from a decent position, we just need a bit of luck in front of goal, we have major injuries to the squad which is beyond bad luck. I'm no big fan of Gerrard but changing now makes no sense, it's down to the players, show some bloody pride and do the job their paid to do. We are capable of beating Chelsea, why not but again it is Chelsea and if we lose will not mean its the Managers fault. We have a squad full of talent, they just need to click, we all though Citeh and their star studded team were going to knock us for six but we got a result and could have actually won. While I understand the frustration, we must all keep the faith...

Indeed, Dave, we were lucky to win the big one, but we didn’t hear of Mr Barton lauded as the greatest, or better than Saunders.

Correct again, Dave, as a man, Deano is admirable, a quality individual, and a good auld egg. But alas, after 3 years, the powers that be deemed that the project was no longer showing continuous improvement. He had lost his influence (or Jack). Loved Deano, but I like to let sleeping dogs (or managers) lie.

The present chap is heading the same way, for the same reasons. This manager has plugged the Smith’s defensive fragilities, and the tackle-shy midfield, at the expense of creativity. It’s a mess, everyone can see that. This board will make a decision, I have no doubt

However, expecting an unknown entity to sweep all asunder, and save us is naive, don’t you think? Of the entities, one has spent 6 fruitless years, for 2 clubs in the Prem, and plays a very high press. Our useless fks are not able for a little bitty press.

The other one, auld Unai, won fk all at arsenal, and likes the sun on his back. He plays neat and tidy possession football, with pacey, skillful strikers. None of our squad is able for that kind of ‘Hokus Pocus.

Interesting times, worrying times, We’re ASTON VILLA, what will be will be.

Wembley anyone?

Interesting point on '82 TD, Saunders made us very hard to beat and it took time to build the team he wanted for his footballing style. Our current midfield consists of a breakthrough youngster, a championship player and Luiz.

Exiled there's no disputing Jack's influence and contribution when he came back from injury, but the likes of Mings & Hourihane played a big hand in getting us over the line. We saw the best of Jack under Smith, he signed Konsa, Cash and Martinez leading to a record 15 clean sheets in the prem - good coach in my humble.

Don't mean to be pedantic mate, but wasn't he the Manager, not coach?
    He also lost his coaches the pre-season before his sacking. Ti's all very mad ATM.

Good point Ex. With today, I thought we were unlucky to lose, played some good stuff in the 1st half and if it wasn't for a fantastic save would have been level, Mings OMG, Emi....? None of which was geraards fault.

Who will be sacked first, Gerrard or Truss?

Well i don't what's worse, a general election and Labour getting in after Truss concedes or Gerrard getting sacked and Dyche turning up!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)