+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Var

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    The Rangers penalty saga hits new heights today as they have demanded the SFA ban Willie Collum from ever reffing any of their games in the future.|Honestly who the phuck do they think they are?.
    Every club in Scotland would have taken this stance on Willie Callum over last 10+ years of him “refereeing” ………… why do they suddenly think after all those years that they can do this now because for once (arguably ) a decision went against Sevco 2012"……… actually surprised it Brother Beaton not on same list for daring to give a penalty at ibrox.

English Premier League clubs to vote next month on scrapping VAR for next season.

Hopefully it's the beginning of the end for this pish.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    English Premier League clubs to vote next month on scrapping VAR for next season.

Hopefully it's the beginning of the end for this pish.
    Fingers crossed. Hate it.

VAR isn't the problem it is the heavy handed way it is being applied. I think everyone thought that when it was being introduced it was to intervene in clear and obvious errors not forensically scrutinise every goal, measure offsides in millimetres and take feckin ages looking at multiple angles. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

The choice shouldn't be forensic application of VAR v no VAR where nothing can be done about a huge howler. Strip it back to clear errors that are confirmed in seconds. If it takes longer to work out then its not clear and obvious. And stop the line drawing in offside decisions. One still if offside is clear its offside, if you have to draw lines to decide then it is too marginal and there should be no intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    VAR isn't the problem it is the heavy handed way it is being applied. I think everyone thought that when it was being introduced it was to intervene in clear and obvious errors not forensically scrutinise every goal, measure offsides in millimetres and take feckin ages looking at multiple angles. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

The choice shouldn't be forensic application of VAR v no VAR where nothing can be done about a huge howler. Strip it back to clear errors that are confirmed in seconds. If it takes longer to work out then its not clear and obvious. And stop the line drawing in offside decisions. One still if offside is clear its offside, if you have to draw lines to decide then it is too marginal and there should be no intervention.
    It's all or nothing for me. Honestly don't think a line can be drawn between clear errors and not so clear errors. We'd just end up arguing over what was clear and what wasn't.

It's all or nothing for me. Honestly don't think a line can be drawn between clear errors and not so clear errors. We'd just end up arguing over what was clear and what wasn't.
    If it is clear you know straight away with one replay of the incident. The problem is when you have to look at things from different angles, slow it up, speed it up, take over 20 seconds, use marginal measurements etc. That is the line between clear and what isn't.

Take the Raith Rovers offside goal at Tannadice. It was clear from one still it was offside. Because there was no VAR absolutely nothing could be done about it even though everyone seeing the replay could see it is the wrong decision. This is what VAR should be for, not checking if a toe is further forward which cant be determined by the naked eye.

I agree, it should be got rid of. I think it's actually causing more problems than it solves. 🤔

For me it's a bit of a headscratcher. Sometimes I think VAR is good when it corrects an obvious mistake and other times I hate it when it rules out a goal for offside by 1cm after a 5 minute delay.
    Overall I probably see it as something that might occasionally protect us against the two Glasgow clubs when refs are trying to favour them.

But, if it went I wouldn't be shedding any tears over it.

The biggest problem with VAR imo is it's meant to be definitive, yet if anything it's made the correct decision less definitive.
    Folk are confused as to what constitutes a foul/handball/penalty. There is no consistency (other than interrupting games and pissing people off) and in it's current use I don't see it being accepted.
    Would like to see it used for whether the ball has crossed the line and offside calls only as I feel that's as close to definitive as we'll get. Rest of it can go in the bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutherland Arab View Post
    The biggest problem with VAR imo is it's meant to be definitive, yet if anything it's made the correct decision less definitive.
    Folk are confused as to what constitutes a foul/handball/penalty. There is no consistency (other than interrupting games and pissing people off) and in it's current use I don't see it being accepted.
    Would like to see it used for whether the ball has crossed the line and offside calls only as I feel that's as close to definitive as we'll get. Rest of it can go in the bin.
    Even offside is a pain in the tits though.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)