+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Var

it just highlights how bad they are.[/QUOTE]

Exactly

scrapping var would not have done us any good against St Mirren, the ref gave a penalty and wouldn't have changed his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomb View Post
    scrapping var would not have done us any good against St Mirren, the ref gave a penalty and wouldn't have changed his mind.
    Not sure I agree. He took ages to decide. He wasn't sure and gave it knowing VAR was there gave him a chance to have it checked. Ridiculous that he wasn't offered a chance to look again during all that time we waited. I doubt he gives it without VAR and if VAR had been implemented properly who knows what the decision would have been had they reviewed it.

It's easier to live with a ref make a mistake on the pitch, when you have long delay to still get a decision clearly wrong it is totally deflating and infuriating. I think some refs are now leaving decisions thinking var will pick it up if I miss it. Would have just drove fans even madder if they were miked up Saturday for both of them to state it was a penalty in their views, or not a clear and obvious error.

I hate var, takes the spontaneity and soul out of football. Reason for it being implemented so badly here however in particular is the standard of officials, you now have two dreadful officials messing up between themselves and putting pressure on each other.

The only reason I can see that the VAR official wouldn't overrule the referee is that he couldn't really tell if there was contact. But that in itself means the referee needs to have another look at it. Why this didn't happen is what is baffling me.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    The only reason I can see that the VAR official wouldn't overrule the referee is that he couldn't really tell if there was contact. But that in itself means the referee needs to have another look at it. Why this didn't happen is what is baffling me.
    I can well understand a reluctance to overturn a referee's decision regarding a penalty. Such things can weaken the confidence of match officials, which is something we don't need. However, asking the ref to have a look at the incident again certainly makes sense. It allows the ref to change his own decision if he feels it is correct to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I'm sure McCurry's reasoning for not awarding a penalty when David Weir blatantly scythed Noel Hunt in the box, was that he didn't have a clear view, and that he can't award a penalty unless he is absolutely certain that an infringement has occurred. So surely if you can't tell if there is contact then that should lean more towards not awarding the penalty? Things might have changed since back then of course.

I completely agree and you'd be hard pushed to actually find anyone who thinks it is a penalty. A mistake by the referee giving it in the first place then another by the VAR official for not asking the referee to have another look. VAR was meant to make the chances of such mistakes far less common but that's not turning or to be the case here in Scotland.

Players raging around the ref will definitely suggest to the VAR assistant that an injustice has probably happened. They should have surrounded Main as well imo

Players get sanctioned for mistakes, it's time these hopeless chunts get fines and suspensions when it's obvious they've made a serious error. Might make them think twice at the time. OK it might not, but if a referee or VAR assistant is racking up fines and suspensions it would soon become obvious to the SPFL that they need to be replaced.

I hate being cheated, it makes me f ucking angry and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

There is also the new issue (as someone mentioned) of refs now not believing in themselves and being totally decisive when an incident occurs. The days of immediately, and forcefully pointing to the spot in a penalty situation for example, seem to be dwindling. It does look like some refs are waiting to see if VAR would like to make that judgement call. Still doesn't explain why, when VAR does intervene, that a ref doesn't want to , or doesn't get asked to look at the monitor.

There also might be on some occasions, that there could be history between the ref and the VAR man, then that opens up another can of worms. It might even end up decisions being made to spite the ref, or the VAR man disregarding what actually happened in the match itself. Far fetched? maybe.......... but........then again... ???

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)