+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to fix soulless Oakwell

How to fix soulless Oakwell

Sorry I have posted for a while but here are our thoughts on a recent issue amongst fans and the board at Oakwell. Have a read and pass comment.

https://tykesblog.co.uk/what-can-be-...ll-atmosphere/

Good read again Manc Tyke , i cannot disagree with any of that , long past caring about attending Oakwell now , i dont feel fans are appreciated or looked after (matchday experience) in general we are treat poorly with little communication and honesty from the Board , its a ship waiting to be sunk !

We should be trying to get a capacity crowd for every home game, and theres one way to do it... we could publicly flog Paul Conway on the pitch at half time. 👍 😂

Eeerrrrmmm 🤔
    NO.
    But yes regarding the stadium.
    Not only does the West Stand need knocking down - but so does the North Stand.
    Personally I would like to see the West Stand of similar height to the Ponty and connected to the Ponty - but a middle level of boxes and television facilities.

For the North Stand it does need to be more flexible in how it can be used ie partitioned so areas can be used for home fans.

As for the atmosphere.
    It’s reliant on one thing - WINNING.
    And winning regularly.
    But there is the small matter of negativity.
    There can’t be many supporters in the country that are more negative than Barnsley fans.
    Only to look on here and the BBS to realise that.
    But is there any wonder !?!?!
    Marched to the top of the hill and marched back down again.
    If ever there was a club that’s never realised its potential then that club is Barnsley.

The police certainly wouldn't approve of halving the North stand imo. The segregation is to their (SouthYorkshirePolice) advantage of containing the supporters.

The atmosphere or lack of it is a modern day thing and a sign of a change in society imo. Things have moved on socially from 25 years ago too with far more ladies in attendance.

Back then football was a man's game. As a supporter you had something to get your teeth into. There were hard tackles going in, muddy pitches, grit and determination shown from the players who were blowks and not conditioned wimps.

Also a large percentage of males making up the supporters inside Oakwell. 25+ years ago you could go to a football match and release some tension, let it all out so to speak. Do that these days and it's not really socially acceptable behaviour anymore which is probably a good thing but has an adverse effect on the atmosphere.

I understand a lot of your points but one contradicts itself? Oldham endorse a singing (noise) section……relegated into the National league! So it didn’t really work!
    I was there during the Premier League season and there wasn’t one game where I didn’t want to ram that drum up his ar5e! The fans were up already, singing all the game and he would start banging the drum to the tune he wanted and the singing stopped because they were drowned out! It seemed to me that he was only interested in hearing himself on MOTD.
    Playing a song when we score, like Port Vale and QPR etc would help…”I’m feeling…glad all over, yeah I’m glad all over” would set the supporters off.
    I would designate the upper and lower west stand (right side) to away fans, make the North stand a family stand and leave the rest alone.
    Giving free tickets to schools and people on benefits who are struggling at the moment for every home match would increase the attendance and maybe get new supporters for the future in.

BTW - the initial post has found its way onto News Now Barnsley.
    Now IMO it’s ok to wash our dirty laundry on here or the BBS - but when dissing the club goes beyond that to the wider world then that’s well out of order.
    Could the Manc actually be something daft like a Wendy for example?
    Because if you read the piece with that in mind it does make more sense.

singing if i wanted to sing id join a choir

chanting nah ive come to watch a football match but ill cheer them on.

Drum anyone banging a drum near me at a match would soon be wearing it.

North stand we dont have enough fans to go in north stand ground would look even emptier.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Personally I would like to see the West Stand of similar height to the Ponty and connected to the Ponty - but a middle level of boxes and television facilities.

Thad ev planning issues blocking the leet on the row of 'arses across the street from the West Stand. BFC would need to buy up all the 'arses and the former school site.
    If BFC were the Royal family they could just throw them out like they did with the Highland "clearances" removing crofters to build places like Balmoral and create vast hunting estate areas with remote hunting lodges.

Why not introduce those cardboard clappers like they had at Huddersfield to accompany the constant drum beat. "Oooh to be a Parekher"

And a "time out" at regular intervals so fans can constantly stuff their faces with "buckets" of popcorn, burgers and fries drinking from a huge cardboard cup full of gassy coca cola.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 02-11-2022 at 07:08 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast