+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klopp correct

Klopp correct

Objections to playing World Cup in Quatar should have been more strongly published by the media 12 years ago not during the tournament.
    Players and managers are not politicians or journalists he said.
    Asking players if they will wear an armband or not is more pressure on them,they should only have to concentrate on doing well for their country.
    Asking the England manager about the conditions or politics in Quatar puts pressure on him and he should not have to deal with it.
    The media knew years ago that new stadiums would have to be built year round and the temperatures in Quatar are far too hot to work in their summer,now men have died they expect players to protest.

Klipperty gave the journalists in the room a lot of stick for leaving protests to the players and I agree with him.

Have to back him on that one

Aye - can't disagree either.

It should have been called out but it shouldn't be on the players just before the tournement.

The same with us Nufc fans to protest the Saudi regime. Nobody cared before the Pif took us over.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kirkland View Post
    The same with us Nufc fans to protest the Saudi regime. Nobody cared before the Pif took us over.
    I've lived and worked I'm Qatar (not quatar) for the last 7 yrs.

During this time there has been hardly any worker deaths. Qatar follows British HSE standards. All the senior project managers are European. Workers rights and employment law has been completely modernised.

You guys who have never lived or worked in the gulf are poorly informed by media outlets who are fed stories by external forces to Qatar who, much like the fraud 6 don't want to see Newcastle spoil the party are afraid of Qatars growing influence due to their vast gas reserves, wealth and growing political influence.

FIFA gave Russia the world cup, they accepted Qatar bid and have supported them throughout across both Blatter and Infantino's leadership.

I understand the objections to the WC being hosted in the gulf but to block this region from the possibility of hosting a tournament is myopic and short sighted.

We've seen real progress in this region in the last decade or more.

Today 70+% of Qatari woman have bachelors degrees, this is more than the UK or most Europe counties. However these success stories don't fit the narrative of MSM in the west.

There is a lot more nuance to the situation.

However in short. Fans, players and managers shouldn't be held to account or made the mouth piece for these issues. These are geopolitical matters. Our nations governments are allied to the gulf nations. Our votes out those governments in power.

The responsibility is that of the electorate to vote in a government that reflects their beliefs. However vast majority of people vote against their best interests.

I opted out of Britain many years ago as I fundamental disagree with thr political status quo of 2 party incompetence.

I left to focus on my own success, career progression & wealth creation. Something a working class lad from the North of England has zero chance of doing in modern Britain. Certainly not at the progressive rate of being over seas in a part of the world where they look to the future with Optimism and ambition rather than harp back to the past and make self destructive decisions such as leaving the EU.

Just one man's opinion. I respect that it will not sit comfortably with some. Everyone is entitled to their own stance on these matters. God bless you for that.

My comments are not meant to cause any offence but share my experience in life on these matters.

Regardless, I'd rather see NUFC win a cup than England win the WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post

Regardless, I'd rather see NUFC win a cup than England win the WC.
    And so say all of us.

Your comment don't cause offence (well not to me). You have the life experience there.

Fantastic post, Raga.

Interesting response.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    Interesting response.
    Thanks gents. I appreciate your comments.

In my opinion 1 death is too many. In the modern age no one should die on a construction site.

However accidents do happen. We have a labour force who come from places where life is very cheap. In part of India, Bangladesh, Nepal & Pakistan this is no H&S at all and no education. There is no safety standards for electrical work. So even when the rules are in place the work force work to their national/regional standards. Despite the best efforts of the Western Cultural influences for safety it's extremely difficult to get guys who are used to working in unsafe conditions as the norm.

On one project I was part of, we had a guy fall from a 7m scaffold tower and died. Obviously we were all devastated and in good faith did a whip round in the office for the fella's family.

We raised a lot of cash (approx 18 months salary for the guy's family). Once word got around to the other labourers how much money we'd raised and given to the bereaved's family we started experiencing an influx of injuries. Tragically a lot of these guys saw the opportunity to get a big chunk of money (comparatively) as worth risking their lives.

Within a week we had shared a memo to all subcontractors that there wouldn't be any further financial offers for injury or death. Immediately the accidents and injury rates went to practically zero; aside from the usual construction site cuts and bruises.

These days the labour force have the legal right to request an NoC - none compete from their employer if they feel mistreated and want to move to another project or employer within the State of Qatar or across the GCC. This law came in to affect about 3 - 4 yrs ago. Not ideal that it was so recent but it is law today.

There have been many improvements due to the horrendous press Qatar was getting & rightly so. The reports did their job and people who work here and now safer and receive better treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragatino View Post
    Thanks gents. I appreciate your comments.

In my opinion 1 death is too many. In the modern age no one should die on a construction site.

However accidents do happen. We have a labour force who come from places where life is very cheap. In part of India, Bangladesh, Nepal & Pakistan this is no H&S at all and no education. There is no safety standards for electrical work. So even when the rules are in place the work force work to their national/regional standards. Despite the best efforts of the Western Cultural influences for safety it's extremely difficult to get guys who are used to working in unsafe conditions as the norm.

On one project I was part of, we had a guy fall from a 7m scaffold tower and died. Obviously we were all devastated and in good faith did a whip round in the office for the fella's family.

We raised a lot of cash (approx 18 months salary for the guy's family). Once word got around to the other labourers how much money we'd raised and given to the bereaved's family we started experiencing an influx of injuries. Tragically a lot of these guys saw the opportunity to get a big chunk of money (comparatively) as worth risking their lives.

Within a week we had shared a memo to all subcontractors that there wouldn't be any further financial offers for injury or death. Immediately the accidents and injury rates went to practically zero; aside from the usual construction site cuts and bruises.

These days the labour force have the legal right to request an NoC - none compete from their employer if they feel mistreated and want to move to another project or employer within the State of Qatar or across the GCC. This law came in to affect about 3 - 4 yrs ago. Not ideal that it was so recent but it is law today.

There have been many improvements due to the horrendous press Qatar was getting & rightly so. The reports did their job and people who work here and now safer and receive better treatment.
    Yes just like you say workers in oil rich Middle East countries come from all over poorer regions.I remember a docker in Bandar Abbas getting a big toe chopped off on a ship I was on.I think he was from Afghanistan.His workmates carried him on to the ship every day and kept him out of sight so that he was still getting paid.A different life to what we have in the West these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)