+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Aberdeen v Hibs

No it’s not
    Far from it
    But stars in attack and defence DEFENCE

Of course, we all want to see goals, so good start but we need to toughen up.

I think we just need to enjoy the ride at home games as there will be a lot of goals scored and conceded and we will win a lot more than we will lose.

I said it earlier in the week and will say it again, and picking up on similar comments here tonight, we just can't go to Livi away and play the same team and expect to win. We will need to sacrifice some of the flair players and go with some more physicality down there. It's good fun seeing five goals scored each game but sometimes you just need to be a bit more pragmatic

We can certainly play a bit and our home form is impressive, nobody can argue with that.
    Some want Goodwin to fail at all costs and even winning a trophy wouldn't change that.
    The first half tonight was the poorest half I have seen at Pittodrie this season, even the Motherwell defeat was a more entertaining game, but we still scored 4 goals and won and it was as sweet as f*ck.

I missed the first half so in reality I seen the best of us by the sound of things. Hibs can’t defend and we looked like scoring every time we went forward (except when Marley Watkins had the ball). Good result and chuffed we banged in 4 goals. More like it!

Quote Originally Posted by RED_JOHN View Post
    I missed the first half so in reality I seen the best of us by the sound of things. Hibs can’t defend and we looked like scoring every time we went forward (except when Marley Watkins had the ball). Good result and chuffed we banged in 4 goals. More like it!
    The same Watkins who played a nice ball through for our fourth goal.

Really good to hear Lee Johnson moan about a late penalty in the 1st half. No hint of hypocracy there.

I thought last night’s game summed up our season in a lot of ways:

Positives

We’re scoring a lot of goals
    We have some proper strikers
    There’s talent in the midfield
    We’re getting lucky
    Crowds are up
    It’s entertaining
    We keep getting penalties
    We have a really strong bench by SPFL standards (anyone remember Connor McLennan?)
    We’re up to 3rd again

Negatives

Our defence is a long, long way from solid and we’re light at CB
    We’re pretty reliant on key loan players (Scales, Clarkson and Coulson)
    We’re getting lucky (how long can it last?)
    We’re a bit soft
    Not clear that we’re tactically astute

On balance I’d far rather be here than where we were this time last year (although I enjoyed Glass’s approach to the gruesome twosome) or under the latter years of McInnes. We have a cup semi to look forward to (though I can’t see us winning it as things stand).

But I’m looking for some decent signings in January ideally and definitely some real evidence that Goodwin knows how to organise his defence. If we do that, I’ll start to feel we might really be getting somewhere.

My sense is that even if we don’t do either of those things we’re a top 6 team again (as we flipping should be) and if we ride our luck 3rd is possible. But in the balance and depends on Hibs, Hearts, etc. continuing to f@*k it up as much as anything we do.

We’ve come a long way in 12 months but we’ve a long way still to go.

Nae long back from the game( got home by plane). First half was terrible. Hibs were running rings round us and our passing was abysmal. They were toothless up front which kept us in the game. Agree that we are too lightweight in midfield and not happy with a back 3. We will get away with it against most teams but not against the OF or in Europe. Still a cracking night for a game, a big noisy crowd and a good win as well. What's not to like.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeDon View Post
    The same Watkins who played a nice ball through for our fourth goal.
    That was the only thing of note he done. Get rid of in January.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    So far we have scored 30 goals in the 9 home games we have played this season,that can’t be far off the total amount we scored at home last season.

The away form needs to be a lot better but try to be a bit more positive lads,it’s not as bad as some of you try to make out.
    Canna mind the LC games against Raith & Dumbarton (might have been 3-0 & 5-0) and the Partick 4-1.

But league games far I think
    St.Mirren 4-1
    Motherwell 2-3
    Killie 4-1
    Livi 5-0
    Hearts 2-0
    Hibs 4-1

So I make that 33 goals in 9 games. Roughly 3.5 per game. Lovely stuff.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast