+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Excuses for losses/poor displays

Excuses for losses/poor displays

The latest one I have heard is from Wrexham on Saturday, complaining of a 'low sun', in the first half . There was of course NA's, 'the grass was too long' after our first game at this level. Does anyone have any more perfectly reasonable excuses they have heard for a loss or poor display.

Man Utd getting battered in the first half at Southampton, Fergie blaming it on the new grey kit, so they changed it at half time and never wore it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    The latest one I have heard is from Wrexham on Saturday, complaining of a 'low sun', in the first half . There was of course NA's, 'the grass was too long' after our first game at this level. Does anyone have any more perfectly reasonable excuses they have heard for a loss or poor display.
    Both of those excuses are valid though. As fans we might laugh but it’s fact. As a player I have fallen foul to a low sun, I still do. Didn’t they rotate the cricket pitch at Old Trafford due to issues of a low sun?
    Why do Notts often water a pitch before a home game? It assists with passing more slickly.
    I didn’t see any of us moaning when we got a draw against Mancinis Man City, where a good side couldn’t cope with the ploughed field. Thanks for helping with that BTW Nottm RFU. Mancini was fuming tho.
    Excuses above are plausible, it’s how teams cope. More often managers are deflecting the blame to try and keep the players confident of a system or style of play.
    It’s like swirling winds. It’s like 4g pitches. It’s like pitch dimensions. Player/team fatigue - I noticed that some moaned about Notts players looking tired v Southend despite having a week between games. Has anyone tried doing exercise after significant travel? It’s weird that sitting still for a few hours seems to take something out of you physically.

There you go, I threw up a few extra excuses.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 16-11-2022 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Oh yes I remember that one lol

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    We'll have to be careful then when we play away at Wealdstone. We already have?. How did that go? Good job it was at night.