+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you was in charge of the Budget.

No need for me to add anything to this thread, Mick and Al have said what is necessary.

Are they the same person??? Or, more likely, VERY good friends??? Hmmmm

The Last Post

I think that in many aspects of today's society individuals aren't encouraged to better themselves and that everything is dumbed down to the mediocre. Excellence isn't encouraged, hence the lack of competition employed in many schools so that nobody is felt inferior. This discourages those who want to succeed.
    This can be equated to inheritance. Why shouldn't those who have worked hard all their lives to provide for their families pass it on? They have earnt it so why shouldn't they pass it on to their loved ones. I inherited from my parents and am eternally grateful to them. My father was only a policeman and wasn't born with a 'silver spoon in his mouth' but worked hard and was sensible with his money. I intend to do the same for my sons.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I think that in many aspects of today's society individuals aren't encouraged to better themselves and that everything is dumbed down to the mediocre. Excellence isn't encouraged, hence the lack of competition employed in many schools so that nobody is felt inferior. This discourages those who want to succeed.
    This can be equated to inheritance. Why shouldn't those who have worked hard all their lives to provide for their families pass it on? They have earnt it so why shouldn't they pass it on to their loved ones. I inherited from my parents and am eternally grateful to them. My father was only a policeman and wasn't born with a 'silver spoon in his mouth' but worked hard and was sensible with his money. I intend to do the same for my sons.
    I think your first paragraph is a load of rubbish.

I don't know why the over 60s like to be so judgemental on today's younger generation. Lets be fair, the over 60s judgement has proved to be diabolical with the last few elections and the Brexit referendum. If I was an over 60 who'd voted Tory Brexit, I'd be feeling quite embarrassed when I spoke to and about 'today's society'. The over 60s have had their go, its time for the youth of this country to have theirs, and lets be fair - they won't be any worse than their elders.

I really don’t think that being over 60 is an indication of incompetence; there are people of all ages who fall into that category. There are incompetent people in all political parties, too. The reality is that the financial rewards for high competence are generally not in politics, the private sector of industry and finance are far more rewarding. It may sound strange but if high political office was more financially rewarding then more competent people may go into it. That wouldn’t be a bad deal, really, as the country should be better off with competent and highly qualified people running it.

Incidentally, this ‘over 60’ didn’t vote Tory at the last election!

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    I really don’t think that being over 60 is an indication of incompetence; there are people of all ages who fall into that category. There are incompetent people in all political parties, too. The reality is that the financial rewards for high competence are generally not in politics, the private sector of industry and finance are far more rewarding. It may sound strange but if high political office was more financially rewarding then more competent people may go into it. That wouldn’t be a bad deal, really, as the country should be better off with competent and highly qualified people running it.

Incidentally, this ‘over 60’ didn’t vote Tory at the last election!
    I'm just talking about the demographics. And I think it's a bit of a cheek to complain about the younger generation (which many on here do), if you voted for the economic self-harm that was Brexit.

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    You've got the brain of a 10 y-o, Mickd.
    OF COURSE I'd take whatever I could from the State. Even someone as thick as you can see that my few thousand quid (that I'd go without IF multi-millionaires did the same) is total peanuts, and would probably more likely be spent building HS2.
    Every country needs to raise so much Tax, so it has to come from Businesses or Civilians. Very very rich people wouldn't even notice it, but nor - to a lesser extent - would 'inheritors' (when they all of a sudden inherit £000,000s.) It's either that........or increase Income Tax. Full Stop.

And don't get the idea that The Rich don't secretly agree, you thick get. I'm ashamed that you're a Baggie.
    Of course I'd take whatever I could from the State? Nye Bevan would be spinning in his grave. The State is the Bank of Last Resort for many many people, and not a treacle stick to extract whatever you have not made personal provision for.

This is a state of mind, brought about by example and fueled by envy.

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    Are they the same person??? Or, more likely, VERY good friends??? Hmmmm

The Last Post
    Bye, bye 👋 👋

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I think your first paragraph is a load of rubbish.

I don't know why the over 60s like to be so judgemental on today's younger generation. Lets be fair, the over 60s judgement has proved to be diabolical with the last few elections and the Brexit referendum. If I was an over 60 who'd voted Tory Brexit, I'd be feeling quite embarrassed when I spoke to and about 'today's society'. The over 60s have had their go, its time for the youth of this country to have theirs, and lets be fair - they won't be any worse than their elders.
    Where did I refer to this 'dumbing down' as being solely applicabable to the younger generation? I only mentioned schools as an example. Mediocrity and the lack of aspiring to excellence is prevalent in all age groups.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)