+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Qatar stadiums

Bit of an insult knocking them down though when people have died building them.

No doubt a lot of people died building the pyramids but at least they're still standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    That’s because the original figures included those that died at work. So for example a Qatari migrant having a heart attack in the office car park would be in those figures. So the real construction deaths are much, much lower than the Guardian would have you believe
    So both he Guardian and the BBC are unreliable. Can we have your more reliable sources please?

My construction death figures for the UK came from the Health and Safety Executive.

My construction death figures for the UK came from the Health and Safety Executive.
    Ah, so no "reliable" statistics for Qatar then!

That’s because the original figures included those that died at work. So for example a Qatari migrant having a heart attack in the office car park would be in those figures. So the real construction deaths are much, much lower than the Guardian would have you believe
    Yes, the news media has been full of stories about the thousands of migrant workers dying of heart attacks in the office car park.

Hi Patty. Welcome to Dr Tedious's fan club.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    Can you give details of the "reputable new sources" you've found Cam? Can't believe Grist hasn't already quoted them.
    I believe the number of 50 came from the International Labour Organisation and was quoted by of all people the BBC and the NYT.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    I believe the number of 50 came from the International Labour Organisation and was quoted by of all people the BBC and the NYT.
    But as the ILO report said "Qatar is inadequately investigating and reporting worker deaths and called for “better quality and more accurate data collection, with more efforts to investigate injuries and fatalities that may be work-related but are not currently categorized as such.”

.....just stop the Qatari press gangs roaming Pakistan and India....etc then it will stop..........................
    #.........oh, hold on, they're there because they went there.............

Like i said before, people turn a blind eye to China, Saudi Arabia etc, can't remember an uproar to the F1 in Saudi. Do people think Saudi's build things themselves? Beijing Olympics, that was very quiet on the uproar front......selective moaning i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    But as the ILO report said "Qatar is inadequately investigating and reporting worker deaths and called for “better quality and more accurate data collection, with more efforts to investigate injuries and fatalities that may be work-related but are not currently categorized as such.”
    I've no doubt their figures are inaccurate but the ones originally banded about by The Guardian and picked up by other 'news' sources were no more than sensationalism. On a similar note, if the figures of illegal immigrants coming across the southern US border (reported at 2M/year by border control) are accurate and those illegal immigrants exhibit 'normal' US mortality rates (850/100,000) then 17,000 of them die every year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123