+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: England v France Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    A get thi point about mental strength. However, did the victory for the French tonight come through mental strength? I dont think so personally. I thought they were very fortunate to say the least and rode their luck on many occasions.

This is knockout football mate. It's either thy day or it int. Today the gods were smiling on the French
    It was fortune for me. Maguire's header skimming the post etc. I can't blame mental strength tonight apart from with Kane's second penalty. But I don't blame him for that because it could have been the same for many players that; it's a tough thing to take that second penalty in those circumstances.

A get thi point about mental strength. However, did the victory for the French tonight come through mental strength? I dont think so personally. I thought they were very fortunate to say the least and rode their luck on many occasions.

This is knockout football mate. It's either thy day or it int. Today the gods were smiling on the French
    A bit too simplistic in my opinion mate to say it's either your day or it isn't given we almost never win these type of games despite having the opportunity on countless occasions to do so .

The Germans won a World Cup and a Euros in the 90's without having any players better than ours .

I've done the unlucky thing with England myself but despite having some real high class talent , playing a Euro Final at Wembley and a really good opportunity tonight to knock the world champions out we still haven't won anything .

I doubt we ever will in my lifetime to be honest .

Quote Originally Posted by Arblasterfromthepast View Post
    It was fortune for me. Maguire's header skimming the post etc. I can't blame mental strength tonight apart from with Kane's second penalty. But I don't blame him for that because it could have been the same for many players that; it's a tough thing to take that second penalty in those circumstances.
    It is indeed mate. Especially when tha facing a blowk who's thi team mate at club level and tha plays and trains wi week in week art. Psychologically it was tough and I understand that.

What delighted me was the way England asserted themselves on the French. Mbappe barely had a kick and Greizmann who was enjoying freedom in that first half was soon restrained in the second half.

I thought the England lads had a lot to be proud of tonight. Some great performances. Declan Rice was top notch. So was Saka. The game was billed as the Mbappe show but Saka was the the main billing for me. World class performance from the lad and a joy to watch.

The current crop of England players are head and shoulders above anything I've seen since 1990

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    A bit too simplistic in my opinion mate to say it's either your day or it isn't given we almost never win these type of games despite having the opportunity on countless occasions to do so .

The Germans won a World Cup and a Euros in the 90's without having any players better than ours .

I've done the unlucky thing with England myself but despite having some real high class talent , playing a Euro Final at Wembley and a really good opportunity tonight to knock the world champions out we still haven't won anything .

I doubt we ever will in my lifetime to be honest .

We will win something though with this squad I'm sure of that. A dunt care what anybody sez, thy always needs luck of some kind to win at knockout football. Mental strength however is winning a league title after 38 or 46 games.

Time for Southgate to bow out in my opinion .

He's taken us as far as he's capable again in my opinion .

I'd suggest the FA get up to Newcastle and put a blank cheque in front of Eddie Howe to fill in .

Time for Southgate to bow out in my opinion .

He's taken us as far as he's capable again in my opinion .

I'd suggest the FA get up to Newcastle and put a blank cheque in front of Eddie Howe to fill in .
    We have the players, we need a manager to utilise their ability to the max. Not knocking Southgate tonight mind, i thought he had the measure of the French tonight personally. Never seen Mbappe so subdued

We will win something though with this squad I'm sure of that. A dunt care what anybody sez, thy always needs luck of some kind to win at knockout football. Mental strength however is winning a league title after 38 or 46 games.
    A big ask in my opinion Pass for England to win a major tournament on foreign soil .

I believe our best opportunity passed us by last summer in the Euro Final at Wembley .

Don't see too much coming up behind Stones and Maguire either who will be two years older in Germany at the next Euros .

The next world cup in Canada , USA and Mexico will be played in sweltering heat which doesn't bode well .

England v France

Sadly we went out tonight but still a proud Englishman 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 And also I had 2 penalties in the match on a bet whether they scored or missed and won £75 but I so wished we had scored both 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

A big ask in my opinion Pass for England to win a major tournament on foreign soil .

I believe our best opportunity passed us by last summer in the Euro Final at Wembley .

Don't see too much coming up behind Stones and Maguire either who will be two years older in Germany at the next Euros .

The next world cup in Canada , USA and Mexico will be played in sweltering heat which doesn't bode well .
    Think tha doing these lads an injustice really. From the loss in the Euros final, this team has taken a better shape. OK, we've lost tonight but outplayed the defending world cup holders.

The likes of Bellingham and Saka are far better than 18 months ago and heading towards being world class. Kane gets better with age, Rice is arguably the best holding midfield player in the world at 23, Foden is getting better and more experienced at international level. Luke Shaw is approaching his peak and his best is yet to come imo. Alexander Arnold, Reece James at reight back assuming Walker and Trippier don't carry on performing. Raheem Sterling is approaching his peak also. Lots of reasons to be optimistic imo.

The center backs, keeper and a replacement for Kane in 3 or 4 years looks to be a possible worry granted. Let's see. I personally think these lads have a tournament win in them. England are now a top side, no doubt about it in my eyes. Not being biased here, just calling it as I firmly believe it.

Christ when I look back with all due respect to Andy Carroll leading the line at euro 2012 or Jack Wilshire being our best hope. Jamie Vardy, Stewart Downing, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott etc couldn't lace this current squads booits in terms of ability.

As an international team we've certainly come a long way since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Batman1957 View Post
    Sadly we went out tonight but still a proud Englishman 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 And also I had 2 penalties in the match on a bet whether they scored or missed and won £75 but I so wished we had scored both 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
    Proud of what ?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast