+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Lockerbie disaster, where were you when you heard about it.

O/T Lockerbie disaster, where were you when you heard about it.

For some reason, I remember it like it was yesterday. I was working at Perry's at the Mushroom Garage and was driving home to the Stag. Put the TV on as soon as I got home. It was unbelievable. Still seems surreal.

Libyan man accused of making the bomb which destroyed Pan Am flight 103 over Lockerbie 34 years ago is in United States custody, Scottish authorities have said.
    The US announced charges against Abu Agila Masud two years ago, alleging that he played a key role in the bombing on 21 December, 1988.
    The blast on board the Boeing 747 left 270 people dead.

When we worked in Glasgow back in the day, a full tank of diesel would get us to the filling station in Lockerbie and we’d fill up there. Never expected a Jumbo to land on it. Horrific event. Jeez.

B****y hell sota, what were you driving ..a tank???

We had about 2 years work after it, all other projects were shelved

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    We had about 2 years work after it, all other projects were shelved
    An old Bedford van lol

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    B****y hell sota, what were you driving ..a tank???
    An old Bedford van lol

Quote Originally Posted by Geetarman View Post
    For some reason, I remember it like it was yesterday. I was working at Perry's at the Mushroom Garage and was driving home to the Stag. Put the TV on as soon as I got home. It was unbelievable. Still seems surreal.
    Working for Reuters in Hong Kong. While I wasn't a journalist my office was next to the Asian Editorial Desk so the news, as it came in, was about as uptodate as it could be. This was a huge story and I kept dropping in for updates. The Pan Am flight crashed at about 7 in the evening. The story broke shortly after and filing came in for many hours after that. HK is eight hours ahead of UK and, since all global editing was done in whichever of the three editorial offices (New York, London, Hong Kong) happened to be on daytime, most of the first news reports were edited and released out of the Asian office.

A few months later we had Tiananmen Square and that was also pretty horrific. We had to organize counselling for a couple of junior correspondents who witnessed what was happening. They were in a bad way...

I can't recall where I was when the Lockerbie disaster happened but I can always recall 9/11.

I was in the office at work when a Manager approached me saying 'some idiot' had flown his plane into one of the twin towers. At the time we had TV's working in the break area so I went out to look at what had happened. All I could see at that time was a hole in the building with smoke billowing out.

While stood there, I witnessed the second airliner smash clean into building two. I was absolutely stunned and shocked! Suddenly more and more people just filled the break out area and not a word was spoken, just total silence as we all looked on in horror as the events unfolded.
    Eventually, I went back in the office in bewilderment as to what I'd witnessed.

I went out again at some point as you could now clearly see the smoke just pouring out of both buildings. I said to a colleague, ''Those buildings will implode'' to which he scoffed at the idea saying they were built to last....cue the first implosion.

9/11 I was chatting to Chaz Robinson at GET7

I think Brecks was also there that day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast