+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Before Southgate

Before Southgate

How many were decent or good ? , the one's who impressed me most were , Joe Mercer, Terry Venables and Bobby Robson , non of them were in the the job for a prolonged spell , yet the football was really good to watch IMO !

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    How many were decent or good ? , the one's who impressed me most were , Joe Mercer, Terry Venables and Bobby Robson , non of them were in the the job for a prolonged spell , yet the football was really good to watch IMO !
    Joe Mercier for me.
    The players seem to play with freedom.
    It’s as tho the only thing he said to them was go out there and enjoy yourself.

Big Sam Allardyce is the man.

None of this Fancy Dan continental stuff. Lump it up to the big lad and rough these Johnny Foreigners up a bit. Let the likes of Messi and Mbappe know you are there first tackle and put them arta the game.

SB that sounds like a page out of ismaels playbook.

Effective in some situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Joe Mercier for me.
    The players seem to play with freedom.
    It’s as tho the only thing he said to them was go out there and enjoy yourself.
    And for me. A little more freedom in the team is better than a steel vice.

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Were you not impressed with Sir ALF then Roma? I would like to wish you & yours a very MERRY XMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR mi owd pal. I also send the same message to all on Tykes Chat. UTB

Glenn Hoddle took charge of the team after Venables and I have to say that I was sceptical at the time of his appointment. I didn't think he'd earned his stripes as a club manager having only managed both Swindon and Chelsea over 4 or 5 years.

I was wrong though. I thought Hoddle brought a continental way of playing to the England team. Maybe due to his brilliant ability and his experiences as a player for Monaco under Arsene Wenger. We looked a better unit under Hoddle passing the ball out from the back with purpose through midfield. He was tactically good too. However, I heard his man management was poor but I thought that he got the England team looking like a proper international side. Especially after how we had been laiking under Graham Taylor.

Hoddle lost his job for non footballing reasons. The press saw to that. I think what he allegedly said was very ill advised, that's assuming he wasn't mis quoted or a would be journalist wanted a high profile coup to try and make a name for himself. Either way, tha dunt know what to believe. It wasn't football related though and I believe the England team went backwards after his sacking.

I agree with you pass hoddle brought us to international level football, he wasn’t scared to chuck youngsters on too, Michael Owen repaid his faith (no pun intended) we were very unfortunate in France 98 the argie result goes the other way that night who knows what we might have done
    Another if n but hard luck story I suppose but I genuinely thought we looked really promising then under hoddle winning le tournoi before