+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bridge over troubled water

Bridge over troubled water

Simon and Garfunkel, anything by the Beatles, Joni Mitchell, Carol King, Dire Straights, the grateful dead, Don Mclean, even showaddywaddy.

Its music. Craig David was on today, talking about himself and his music. The best that can be said for it is that you would pick it to play in a shopping precinct, it is technically music, but its seriously ordinary.

Not like hearing bridge over troubled water for the first time, or countless other albums.

Where has all the music gone.?

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    Simon and Garfunkel, anything by the Beatles, Joni Mitchell, Carol King, Dire Straights, the grateful dead, Don Mclean, even showaddywaddy.

Its music. Craig David was on today, talking about himself and his music. The best that can be said for it is that you would pick it to play in a shopping precinct, it is technically music, but its seriously ordinary.

Not like hearing bridge over troubled water for the first time, or countless other albums.

Where has all the music gone.?
    A long, long time ago, but I can still remember when that music used to make me smile ....

Simon & Garfunkel's albums 'Sounds of Silence', 'Bridge Of Troubled Water are wonderful. Don McLean has always had a respect for the likes of Buddy Holly, The Everly Brothers and Roy Orbison etc. I was an absolute fanatic of McLean but he prematurely became a grumbling old git who fell out with a lot of folk. In a concert in the mid-1970s when his guitar went out of tune and he was fixing it he replied to a question from an audience member "What does American Pie mean? It means that I don't need to work any more". His best stuff was done more that 40 years ago. Showaddywaddy were / are unpretentious fun and likewise were Mud and Wizard.

See Carlisle score five,
    See Carlisle score five,
    Everyone you meet coming down the street,
    Wants to see Carlisle score five

But to feed your ears with some wonderful stuff you need any of the versions of Evita from the concept album to the West End cast album to the film it is simply wonderful, gradually becoming more appropriately Latin American in arrangement.
    It begins with the death of Eva, wife of President Peron. Then 'Che' narrates her life story, he being the idealist and she being the cynical pragmatist. Antonio Banderas is superb. Here he is performing a couple of the songs from the beginning of the musical Evita at a one-off event several years later which celebrated the works of Rice & Lloyd Webber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tPC...owsMustGoOn%21

The original Evita concept double album of 1976 had a cast including :-
    Singers
    Julie Covington
    Tony Christie
    Barbara Dickson
    Mike D'Abo & Paul Jones (Manfred Mann)
    David Hemmings
    Roy Wood
    Tim Rice (part of the ensemble on one song)

The band was the London Philharmonic Orchestra with Andrew Lloyd Webber on keyboards and Hank Marvin playing guitar.

Julie Covington was offered the role of Eva Peron in the West End stage show. She bizarrely turned it down because she simply did not like the character. She later acknowledged this to be an error. Of course it made Elaine Page.

I like this bit of rock 'n' roll, the narrator 'Che' introducing Colonel Peron (Paul Jones), who we hear briefly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dA1...ydWebber-Topic
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 16-12-2022 at 08:32 PM.

When interviwed Maclean comes over as very intense, and a bit up his own rear end. He comes over as a 13 year old nerd with national health specs, reading statistics of wheat production in 1912 in his bedroom.

What do you reckon to Neil Diamond? This is one of my favourites of his. In my mind I can picture a very large tent being pitched just outside 'Hicksville' and the whole town turning up to hear 'Brother Love' doing a mixture of hell fire and spiritual preaching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2jq...ffersonWeiller

Cant say ive heard that one before. Music by John Miles shakes my marakkas.

I very much like what John Miles did. From 1985 he was with the 'Night Of The Proms' orchestra which was a full orchestra and choir that toured the major cities of Europe and America playing some classical and some of the wide range of 'pop' music. He did this until shortly before his death in December last year at the age of 72. He was very much the up front piano player, he sang and played guitar. He accompanied on piano and vocals a lot of the famous 'pop' singers who appeared on these concerts.

Here is an amateur video of him playing 'Music' at one of these concerts in December 2018. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diPgAn2JXAU&ab_channel=ceceangel

There is plenty of John Miles on YouTube.
    Last edited by _Stefan_Kuntz; 18-12-2022 at 09:24 PM.

Try listening to some proper music like the Hollies and the Kinks.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Try listening to some proper music like the Hollies and the Kinks.
    Good call Alf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6hMWM_zW70

I like the Hollies as OK popsters but their best songs were written by others. Ray Stiles, bassist from Mud, was still playing for them the last time that I looked.

Whereas the Kinks were a horse of a different feather. Ray Davies must be the greatest individual English song writer of all time, with Rice / Lloyd Webber the greatest English song writing team of all time. The Davies observations from daily life were well put into songs. Listening to 'Waterloo Sunset' you do not need a video, you have the 'video' in your mind when listening. 'Dedicated Follower of fashion' similarly was gently scornful of the 'Carnabation Army' ('Carnaby Street' era).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)