+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matty Palmer New Contract

I think one of the keys to our transformation over the past three years has been the lower turnover of players at the end of each season.

Obviously the standard of recruitment is a key reason for this, because we've signed players who are actually worth retaining, but without doubt the longer a player stays at a club the more they buy in to its future.

That's without a doubt a fact, they are clearly connected. Hopefully the days of crying for a 'complete overhaul' come end of a season won't return for a long time.

It's great to be worrying a little about retaining players rather than debating just how few should be kept #radar
    Last edited by SwalePie; 27-12-2022 at 08:19 PM.

What a fantastic Christmas present for all associated with the club.

In Matty Palmer we have a player who has and will continue to be in his prime secured for the next couple of seasons after this one.

It’s good to see a key player commit to the club and it’s testament to the club also. There are other clubs at a higher level in our region that he could have gone to so it shows that the club, even though we are in the National League, are doing things right both on and off the field. So the club should be commended for this.

Also it breeds confidence with other players whose contracts maybe coming to an end that the core players are not going to move on.

It’s a far cry from the days of signing journeymen on one or two year deals and having to rebuild a new team every couple of seasons or when a manager gets sacked.

In terms of RR we should prepare ourselves for a departure like that of Kyle Wootton. We can’t begrudge players that are not yet at their peak wanting to test themselves at a higher level. It’s a short career after all. Of course there could be a chance of RR signing especially if we were to get promoted, but an opportunity to go to a big league one club or championship team which I think RR is capable of playing at is one that should not be begrudged.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 27-12-2022 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Fixed typo for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    What a fantastic Christmas present for all associated with the club.
    It certainly is. I've seen Matty Palmer have the very occasional average game, but never seen him have a bad game. He clearly belongs to a level higher than the National League, best supported by this comment I read on the Oldham board:

"How is Matty Palmer all the way down here?????"

Fully understand why players might want to get away from playing non-league, but I think they would need quite a good club - we do have the advantage of great facilities, top management, average attendance of 8k. etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123