+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Danny Wilson Autobiography

Danny Wilson Autobiography

Christmas prezzie off mi daughter. An interesting read so far. I never tend to read an autobiography in chronological order. I skip to the bits that interest me and take it from there.

Obviously I've started with the Barnsley chapters in Danny's book. His first managerial stint at the club was legendary. Danny Wilson and Eric Winstanleys achievements and playing style that year will never be surpassed at Oakwell imo. It was truly awesome and brought a huge smile to my face as well as a lump to my throat. You older fans know what I'm saying.

However, reading his views on his second stint at the club leave me feeling emotionally flat at how this once proud and family orientated football club has been run to become purely a money orientated business since the 'moneyball' theory came into being.

I quote Danny's autobiography speaking of the owners and board of directors-
    "They didn't have the courtesy to even consult me before making a signing. In other words, I couldn't identify a player, they could. That was their approach to all their managers. None of the managers really had a say on which players came in, which I think is barmy"

There you have it. I, along with a few others on here suspected that to be the case for years. A lot of managers have taken unfair stick from supporters because since moneyball, the team decisions and signing decisions have been made in the boardroom wi art the managers input or consent, yet various managers over the years have taken some reight criticism and hammer over the signings. These 'head coaches' have basically been hung out to dry by the current owners and their predecessors. What a bag of shyte and explains how football has moved on from those glorious John Dennis years in the 90s when the club and its supporters came first.

I love the game of football and always will. However, in recent years I've gradually lost interest. The game now is nowhere near the game that I fell in love with. I can't and don't want to identify with it. The thread about Tedic being on 13k a week just about sums it up where football is for me. When tha thinks abart it, it's only going to get worse n all.

All very true Pass.

The DannyWilson/ John Dennis pairing was made in heaven.

The club went full circle in December 2017 when Conway and Billy Beane rocked up with new software to decide the roster in the locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    All very true Pass.

The DannyWilson/ John Dennis pairing was made in heaven.

The club went full circle in December 2017 when Conway and Billy Beane rocked up with new software to decide the roster in the locker room.
    It was happening before they rode in to town SB with respect .

In Danny's book he was criticising Patrick Cryne .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

We've had the Patrick Cryne debate many times Animal and we will always agree to differ.

If Danny criticises Patrick Cryne in his autobiography that is his privilege. I loved Danny's first spell here, coming to an abrupt end when he went to Sheffield Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    We've had the Patrick Cryne debate many times Animal and we will always agree to differ.

If Danny criticises Patrick Cryne in his autobiography that is his privilege. I loved Danny's first spell here, coming to an abrupt end when he went to Sheffield Wednesday.
    The differential is the fact that Cryne wanted the model to give the club financial sustainability and probably recoup the loans made to the club that he guaranteed .

The incoming owners only wanted to make money for themselves without putting so much as a round coin in to the venture .

However the model and the way it was implicated worked exactly the same way under both ownerships .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post

Correct.

To further quote Danny's book-

"I just found the whole experience at Barnsley so frustrating because I was trying to win football matches with my hands tied. I'm not really sure why they(Cryne and Mansford) appointed me because I think they wanted a yes man. Someone who was going to be grateful for the job and would go with the boards wishes. I was always my own man. I made decisions that felt were the right thing to do for the football club, even if they weren't always popular. I remember having a meeting with the owner (Pat Cryne) and chief executive (Ben Mansford or BullshyteBen as he was affectionately known on here)and as they were talking, I was just looking at them because I didn't believe anything they were saying. I knew I was on borrowed time and I'd gone past the stage of arguing with them. I'd stopped giving my opinion because it didn't make any difference, so I just let them talk while I looked at them with disdain. They didn't want a manager; they wanted a puppet."

This chapter in Wilsons book is called 'It's football not Moneyball'

The good name of Barnsley fc has had this reputation for a decade or so now within the footballing fraternity. If thy asks me, I can't fault the job Paul Heckinbottom did at this club. He did reight fecking off to Leeds. His love for this club and integrity was the only thing that kept him here as long as he was. The position became untenable in regard of making progress as a club when the decision making and sole aim was, and is, to try and profit rather than build success. No head coach since has lasted as long as Hecky which speaks volumes.

That really annoys the hell out of me Pass.
    And while Im sure most of us think it anyway, those comments from Wilson just go to prove it.
    I was delighted when we re-appointed him, but it just wasn't the same under him the second time round, probably for those reasons that have now come to light.
    Now we know why they keep appointing coaches, so they can use them like yes men and make all the important managerial decisions themselves.
    It absolutely disgusts me!. 😡

I ed to laugh reading about Wilsons managerial stint at Hillsborough. He too had the carpet pulled from under him by the Wendy board who were money orientated. Carbone, Di Canio and Emerson Thome sold fo peanuts. 3 key players sold to remove them from the wage bill. Their replacements were Richard Cresswell(from York City), Gerald Sibon and Gilles de Bilde (from Europe). They got relegated from the Premiership that season and haven't been back since.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer club.