+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Keith Curle gives Clarke Odour advice before sending him back

Keith Curle gives Clarke Odour advice before sending him back

As was speculated, Kenyan international Clarke Oduor has officially cut short his loan stint with Hartlepool United with the manager, Keith Curle offering advice after confirming the midfielder's exit.

The 23-year-old joined Hartlepool on a season-long loan from League One side Barnsley but has not benefited from the regular play time that he was after.

Oduor made 14 appearances for Hartlepool, starting seven of those, but has not featured since the FA Cup second-round win over Harrogate Town back in November.

The former Leeds United midfielder failed to appear on the matchday squad against Rochdale on Boxing Day with Curle confirming his exit.
    “Clarke is going back on January 1 so it wasn’t fair to risk him when he’s only got another four or five days with us. But it was important for him to be able to travel. I think it’s for the lads benefit as well as ourselves. He hasn’t been gaining the game time.

I think Clarke would probably agree he came to the football club to get game understanding. He plays the game a lot in the middle of the pitch and technically he’s got good ball mastery, he can service the ball very, very well, but it’s having an impact on the game as well,” Curle told the Mail.

Oduor will now return to Barnsley where is likely to be shipped out on another loan deal in a bid to get more playtime or stay at the club and fight for his place.

Curle admitted that Oduor does not affect the game as much as he should and asked him to improve on that facet of his game in his future endeavors.

“I spoke to him today before the game and said I go and watch a lot of under-23’s and under-21’s football and I see lots of people who have got good ball mastery and have good ball technique but they don’t impact the game.

So I said to Clarke, your next move, when you come off the pitch ask yourself ‘have I impacted the game in a positive way in the final third’ because the kid can be scary when he faces you up,” added Curle.

Curle's probably not telling the lad anything he didn't hear here .

Curle was hardly a world class player himself was he lol. But in fairness he's given Odour some honest advice there, along the lines of him simply being not good enough.
    I expect we'll loan him out to Barrow or Grimsby next. 😉

Fine line in football between being the hero and villain

July 2020---- Odour scores last minute winner at Brentford to keep Barnsley in Championship and pave the way for Championship Play Off season under Ismael

December 2022---binned by Hartlepool early from loan spell