+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: One for the older Arabs

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Were you and Stoke no in thon photo of the JK stand metal superstructure with fans in it?

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/580049626979237434/

��
    Truly brilliant Terence,i think Stokie boy helped to build it,we arnie like them Qataris mate our Arabs dinnie need migrant workers we built our own stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    Auchterarder ..........
    Lived there for a wee while - used to get picked up by United coaches when we were playing in the west (75-77). Dangerous place on Saturdays - especially when a proud Dundonian and Arab insisted on wearing the tangerine and black (during the week as well). Never did see eye to eye with the local OF zombies.

Going through Perth, Auchterarder,Dunblane,Stepps. A nightmare journey back after a Hampden horror show

Quote Originally Posted by GUNBOAT View Post
    Great to see a thread that may have sunk without a trace going to 3 pages well done to the OP and the posters involved.
    Thanks GB, Does anyone mind o yon knitting shop in King Str. beside the Dens Rd. steps? I got an orange+and black scarf made in the late 60s when we changed to the Tangerine strip, first time I wore it at a home match I got lots o interested looks, must have been one o the the first...PS i am 71......Happy days.

Got me thinking aboot knitting shops, there was one on Victoria Rd across fae the Wellgate steps that must have made a fortune doing gang jumpers, Gary Robertson wrote a book called Gangs of Dundee...... a really good read. Any lads any memories o yon days?

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysanarab View Post
    Got me thinking aboot knitting shops, there was one on Victoria Rd across fae the Wellgate steps that must have made a fortune doing gang jumpers, Gary Robertson wrote a book called Gangs of Dundee...... a really good read. Any lads any memories o yon days?
    Yip , that shop was next to the bookshop that, ahem... "seemingly" sold hardcore nude books in brown paper bags, from under the counter.

Used to knit gang jumpers to order. The woman had to put them in bags that couldn't be seen through, so gang members not in the Hulltoon Hunz could discreetly nip oot and stand at the nearest bus stop (there were plenty) and hope their bus would be along ASAP to get them back to wherever they came from.

There was one in the Dens road market, and maybe one in the Lorne street one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannons boots View Post
    59 & experienced a few run ins at Hibs. Cars being rocked by hibs fans. Mate hauled off his motorbike. Guys getting in the car & wanting to fight. That alley bridge was deadly. Also running battles on hill at aberdeen. Or coming out of Ibrox to a hail of bottles with not one cop in sight. Visiting tynecastle in winter & frozen piss from toilets at back of terracing over the standing areas. Tynecastle was a hell hole then. That tunnel you came through from turnstiles to terrace was something else. Early 80s on bus to glasgow for first time & being open mouthed at some of the areas we stopped at to let the older guys get a pint. An adventure every game. & taking hours & hours to get home pre motorway days
    Name:  Stokes car.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  20.2 KB

Talking of cars, I only remember buses parking here.

PS: Stokes car its third from the right, second row.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    Name:  Stokes car.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  20.2 KB

Talking of cars, I only remember buses parking here.

PS: Stokes car its third from the right, second row.
    Piss poor parking

I do remember going to the carnival at Gussie Park as a kid 🤣

Name:  gussie.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  19.9 KB

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)