+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rest In Peace Pele

I'm too young to have watched Pele in live action in the World Cup so I won't claim some kind of false connection to his era of football, but I vividly remember seeing Maradona play for Argentina as a kid in Mexico 86 and he became my first football icon (despite his dubious part in knocking out England!), so I can imagine how people from previous generations feel about the loss of Pele. Clearly Pele was a complete legend and his passing is a very sad day for anyone who considers themselves a football fan.

What I do know from "my time" is that he was an absolute gentleman and ambassador who loved and contributed a lot to the game long beyond his playing days.

RIP Pele, Brazil's greatest ever.
    Last edited by jackal2; 30-12-2022 at 12:31 AM.

He was a credit to the game of football as others have said played the game like it should be played. No cheating and diving and played at a time when players were allowed to tackle and get away with some terrible ones, he was hacked out of the 66 world cup. One of my 3 favourite sportsman of all time, the other two being Ali and Garfield Sobers R.I.P great man.

Very sad, a true legend, he will be remembered fondly I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    He was a credit to the game of football as others have said played the game like it should be played. No cheating and diving and played at a time when players were allowed to tackle and get away with some terrible ones, he was hacked out of the 66 world cup. One of my 3 favourite sportsman of all time, the other two being Ali and Garfield Sobers R.I.P great man.
    I just about remember the 1958 world cup and the emergence of Pele. Not only was he the GOAT he recognised and was generous in his praise for other top sporting footballers such as Gordon Banks who saved a header he really thought was going in, and Bobby Moore who gave him a right match - “He was my friend as well as the greatest defender I ever played against,” Pele said after his passing. “The world has lost one of its greatest football players and an honourable gentleman.”

We've lost a humble, honest gentleman and footballing genius. Hope they get some good game wherever they've gone.

Yes, he was the greatest of all time - no doubt whatsoever. And he played in the greatest forward line of all time, at the 1970 World Cup.... Jairzinho, Pele, Tostao, Rivelinho - wow!

My two abiding memories of him are (1) drawing that save from Gordon Banks and (2) setting up Carlos Alberto for the final goal in the 1970 WCF (when Pele played the ball to his right, Carlos Alberto wasn’t even in the picture, but you already knew it was going to be a goal).

I was lucky enough to see him play for Santos against Sheffield Wednesday in 1973. It was a midweek afternoon and Hillsborough was full, which shows what drawing power Pele had.

RIP.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12