+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English Football Shake Up

English Football Shake Up

Just seen on SSN that there's going to be a headline tomorrow about the way English Football is going to change. The main points that were made:

1) No more Carabou Cup Semi Finals Two leggers and no replays.

2) More money to go in to EFL.

3) Community Shield to be played abroad.

Sure there's going to be more, but these seem to be the main targets for change.

I don't fundamentally disagree with any of this. Although there might be a discussion for Carabou Cup replays and such benefitting lower league teams. Obviously there's an argument for blooding youth players in that sort of competition for example.

Community Shield...well, I don't care, but neither do the fans or players. It's just an exhibition, so should probably played abroad.

More money to EFL...mmmmm....We'll see.

Thoughts?

It's no replays for the FA Cup from the 3rd round which doesn't sit well with me. The whole romance of the FA Cup is built on the fact the small non league team could get to a 3rd round against a top club and pull off a scrappy draw at home and get a pay day away.

the other changes I'm not concerned about

Quote Originally Posted by MancMagpie View Post
    Just seen on SSN that there's going to be a headline tomorrow about the way English Football is going to change. The main points that were made:

1) No more Carabou Cup Semi Finals Two leggers and no replays.

2) More money to go in to EFL.

3) Community Shield to be played abroad.

Sure there's going to be more, but these seem to be the main targets for change.

I don't fundamentally disagree with any of this. Although there might be a discussion for Carabou Cup replays and such benefitting lower league teams. Obviously there's an argument for blooding youth players in that sort of competition for example.

Community Shield...well, I don't care, but neither do the fans or players. It's just an exhibition, so should probably played abroad.

More money to EFL...mmmmm....We'll see.

Thoughts?
    I see there's no mention of a third promotion place for the National League.

It's apparently "up for discussion", but I can't see it happening.

Charity Shield stopped being relevant when the big teams started playing in pre-season mini tournaments that were televised (remember the Makita tournament at Wembley!) and then tiers 2-4 would kick-off a weekend earlier than the PL, clashing with it.

When I was a kid, I'd collapse on my knees in the front room in front of the TV with tears of relief when MOTD returned with the Charity Shield mid-August, it seemed like forever since the end of the previous season. It was a special game then.
    I think it's a great idea to take it abroad and will go some way to heading off the stupid 39th PL game that re-surfaces as a mad idea every 5 years or so.

League Cup can be scrapped altogether for all I care. Again, great memories of that competition (6-1 v Bolton, Paul Gascoigne here with Spurs) but it's nothing now.

I'd like to see a radical restructure of the EFL to 4 leagues of 20, which would mean promoting 8 clubs from the NL to increase the EFL from 72 to 80 teams altogether.

20 as opposed to 24 per league should mean less mid-table meaningless games and less mid-week fixtures, which would probably encourage managers to play 1st teams in cups and boost cup attendances.
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 06-01-2023 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I see there's no mention of a third promotion place for the National League.

It's apparently "up for discussion", but I can't see it happening.
    According to Ollie Baylis on a recent podcast, he says it wont happen..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    According to Ollie Baylis on a recent podcast, he says it wont happen..
    Typical EFL clubs.. bleating about being denied opportunities by those above whilst doing their best to deny those below

Quote Originally Posted by macse15 View Post
    Typical EFL clubs.. bleating about being denied opportunities by those above whilst doing their best to deny those below
    I’m sure we’d be the same if we were still in the EFL. If it had come in a decade or so ago we would have been in the NL years ago and more than likely wouldn’t have recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    I’m sure we’d be the same if we were still in the EFL. If it had come in a decade or so ago we would have been in the NL years ago and more than likely wouldn’t have recovered.
    Obviously we have an interest in getting an extra promotion place but the EFL’s current position doesn’t make any logical or moral sense. They continue to want and have 3 promotion places from the Championship into a 20 team league while denying 3 places from a 24 team league into another 24 team league. They also have 4 promotion places from their bottom league. I’m surprised the NL haven’t considered legal action. It’s manifestly unfair.

Sooner or later it’ll happen let’s just hope it’s sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Obviously we have an interest in getting an extra promotion place but the EFL’s current position doesn’t make any logical or moral sense. They continue to want and have 3 promotion places from the Championship into a 20 team league while denying 3 places from a 24 team league into another 24 team league. They also have 4 promotion places from their bottom league. I’m surprised the NL haven’t considered legal action. It’s manifestly unfair.

Sooner or later it’ll happen let’s just hope it’s sooner.
    If we get promoted this year let’s hope we dont have to worry about it again.
    I suspect it’s not a unanimous EFL vote about the extra place from the NL and relegation from L2. It’s probably one of those 50-50. Champ clubs are probably game for the extra place but L2 clubs would be reluctant. L1 will be middle of the road with some of the smaller clubs worried about a slide.
    The argument about NL promotion v Championship promotion is a none starter for me. Most clubs that go in to the Prem subsequently get relegated. We have now got to a point where clubs that go up to the EFL hold there own or in Lincoln and Luton’s scenario, kick on further. Half the NL is former EFL clubs, some of which are bigger than many L1 & L2 sides. That said, all clubs are where they deserve to be.
    L2 is full of **** clubs and a handful a decent sized clubs but so is the NL.
    Although it was **** when it happened, getting relegated has allowed Notts to almost restart. Many fans who hated being in L2 now have a different perspective.
    I can’t wait to take my boys to a Notts EFL game. Hopefully they won’t have to wait long. They love Notts nonetheless and the club a very much on the up.

"Community Shield to be played abroad" Why when it's for UK charities? Seem a right odd idea.

Think we can safely say there'll never be 3 up from the NL so we need to forget that idea.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 06-01-2023 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Fixed typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast