+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we happy with our league position ?

Are we happy with our league position ?

It's possibly the best most would have hoped for considering what's happened, are we capable of being in the Play off places at the season's end ? Recent form doesn't look good , I doubt we will get dragged into a relegation scrap , wins are needed now to get well clear of the 50pts + safety target to achieve that , Duff according to the Chronicle says targets have changed " he knows nothing about the budget , but in regular conversations with the Board about signings? Sounds to me like we have settled " in now our home in Division One 3rd Division"

Happy Roma but like most of our recent performances I’m feeling frustrated.
    50 points the most important thing now then try to move on.
    I reckon Duff has a bit of say in some of the recent signings re the Burnley connection but just my opinion of course.
    The goals conceded in the last three games I’m sure should give an opportunity for the new signing Thomas to be given a run of games starting next week.
    We may scrape the playoffs but much prefer points on the board rather than games in hand.
    Just a gut feeling that the two Thomas’s playing next month could work wonders.
    We are Barnsley and must never forget.
    Last edited by POGGYWELL; 14-01-2023 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Last line

Good initial post.
    And something I’ve been considering for the last few weeks - if the season stopped now, how would supporters gauge it?

IMO.
    Very very happy with where we are.
    Very very disappointed that a couple of players in certain positions would have got us much higher in the league - probably top two.

BUT ….. as we all know ( or at least some of us know ) this was a season to reset things after the disaster of the Conway Season.
    Resulting in lots of changes both on and off the field.
    So considering all of that - the team under Duff has done brilliantly well.

Next season we will be ready to make a real push.
    Which is exceptional in this league as usually it takes clubs many seasons to get their act together.

Conway gone then Nudge ? The man who threw us out of what i thought was our West Stand.

JAQ
    ·
    Jan 14, 2023
    @JulieAnneQuay
    ·
    Follow
    thanks to all the @BarnsleyFC fans who made the away journey today - could hear you across the atlantic x

She said in August we were searching for strikers.
    Last edited by POGGYWELL; 15-01-2023 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Last line

About as good as we hoped for……. And as good as we will achieve.

Duff has done well with the cards dealt to him by the owners on 31st August so 6th exceeds my expectation.

In days gone by it wouldn't be a kid coming in on loan from Burnley, it would be the experienced Kevin Long.

I hope "Bob" is not a short term replacement for Andersen. Welcome "Bob".

We are already in a little financial difficulty. To still be receiving Third Division income next season will see the quality and depth of the squad spiral down even further.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 15-01-2023 at 06:42 AM.

We are well ahead of where I thought we would be especially with the amount of serious injuries Duff has had to deal with , I have always seen it as a project for Duff ,a project which will take time not unlike some other big named teams in our division & building with patience is the key . We do not have the cash to buy a squad capable of challenging but Duff I believe has the skill set to eventually mould a team capable of making a push , I do not think we will make the play offs this season & frankly we are not good enough but hopefully over the next couple of seasons we will be good enough , patience is the key for me.

Over achieving for me after the debacle of last season and the lack of any real financial clout .

I take the point when we hit 4th with games still in hand it sucked one or two of us in to thinking we could push the top two but that's clearly not going to happen .

6th is achievable mind basically because the teams below us are pretty much at our level and we can finish above them just as long as we pick our game back up .

I wouldn't expect us to win the play offs I have to say , three successful games against any of the teams above us is a big ask in my opinion at the business end of the season .

6th place and going out in the play off semi final wouldn't be a bad season and progress in my opinion would have been made .

Next season I'd expect us to improve on that but at the same time that depends on Duff remaining and improving the squad which aren't a given .

I'm delighted wi our current league position so thanks and hats off to Michael Duff.

A thowt this season wo gonna be a struggle and thoughts of successive relegations crossed my mind on a few occasions last May/June

Yes, happy with our current league position.

Top 10 my forecast before the season started, games in hand and in 6th place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast