+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 85 of 93 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Thread: Careless Tories!

So, you think inflation bumping up the cost of living isn't affecting "well to do" pensioners aka rA? It's affecting everybody intit?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    How much of a tax hike would you be prepared to accept to get this and the most other ills you blame on the tories to be fixed. Serious question.

As an old relatively well to do pension aged person, it's perhaps easy for you to be blase and throw cash at these problems - but for the man in the street with inflation cutting disposable income it's not so easy to take further cuts in disposable income, especially for something that's pretty low on your personal priorities for UK plc.

And the answer is not to jack up wages effectively making businesses pay for the tax cuts. They are still fragile post brexit and COVID, and need space to continue the rebuild. And it would simply push inflation harder and cost jobs as businesses fail or relocate.

I agree precious funds have been wasted and continue to be wasted but the boat people problem cannot be solved from existing resources in a depleted economy. It doesn't matter who you blame for the economic woes, if there aren't resources, depending must fall and low priority issues will get neglected
    Given the billions already wasted by the Tories GP, why do you think solving this matter requires more resources, rather than the sensible and appropriate use of existing resources? The boats weren't an issue prior to Brexit and the resources being wasted on both not processing asylum seekers quickly and efficiently and on the dead duck Rwanda issue which isn't going to work and even if they do manage to send some is going to cost more and still won't have an effect.

Given there was a system in place prior to Brexit, which provided a legal route for Asylum Seekers to be processed, the issue isn't extra resources per se, its having an agreement in place with France and the EU.

How many millions in tax payers money is being wasted on housing asylum seekers whilse they wait years for a decision? Process claims quickly and in Calais, admit those with valid claims and we don't even have to deport or house those whose claims are rejected.

I guess if the government got just a fraction of the billions wasted on PPE contracts back where it was unfit for purpose that might be a source of revenue.

Oh and how many millions ahve the Tories wasted on the NHS dispute? Some estimates are that its cost more to pay for cover during strikes than it would ahve to settle the dispute in the first place, not to mention the cost to the economy of people waiting for operations unable to work.

Then we could look at the use of consultants by the civil service and elsewhere, which drains millions from the public purse, when it would be more cost effective to undertake this work in house.

As for tax, we are now in a state where the richest1% pay less tax than at any time in recent history - closing tax avoidance loopholes for the rich, increasing higher rate tax for over £500k a year, etc. etc. The situation where people are squeezed both income wise and tax whilst the very rich pay less and less is not sustainable if one wants a civilised society to continue.

For too long the gap between the average person and the very very wealthy has been too big and there are many quite simple ways to reduce this and bring in the resources required to resolve the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

Given there was a system in place prior to Brexit, which provided a legal route for Asylum Seekers to be processed, the issue isn't extra resources per se, its having an agreement in place with France and the EU.
    The resources in France and elsewhere were either let go or are now doing other work in the Civil Service. Reopening the facilities (or renting new ones) and staffing them will cost money.

There's also the little matter of the millions we pay France to stop the boats. The French don't seem to be taking the deal seriously whilst being very happy to take the money.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that HMG under Bojo cocked up big time in discontinuing the deal on immigration that we had with the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    The resources in France and elsewhere were either let go or are now doing other work in the Civil Service. Reopening the facilities (or renting new ones) and staffing them will cost money.

There's also the little matter of the millions we pay France to stop the boats. The French don't seem to be taking the deal seriously whilst being very happy to take the money.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that HMG under Bojo cocked up big time in discontinuing the deal on immigration that we had with the EU.
    True I didn't suggest it wouldn't, though it would be money that was previously spent so not additional and no doubt not cost a great deal more than is being spent on the stupid ill fated Rwanda scheme.

Interesting fact, since the agreement on returns with Albania was reached, the number crossing by boast is around half that which were coming by this time last year. Which further suggests that money well spent on negotiating agreements with other countries and having a legal route would actually resolve most of the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    True I didn't suggest it wouldn't, though it would be money that was previously spent so not additional and no doubt not cost a great deal more than is being spent on the stupid ill fated Rwanda scheme.

Interesting fact, since the agreement on returns with Albania was reached, the number crossing by boast is around half that which were coming by this time last year. Which further suggests that money well spent on negotiating agreements with other countries and having a legal route would actually resolve most of the issues.
    If a certain dumbass hadn't decided to drop the agreements we had in place pre Brexit, none of this would have happened...

If a certain dumbass hadn't decided to drop the agreements we had in place pre Brexit, none of this would have happened...
    H well when ideology becomes more important than actually governing thats what happens! Then last nights **** show with master gammon Francois spouting *******s and pretending he is somehow important in the scheme of things!

Utterly disgraceful that the so called "moderate one nation" Tories didn't vote against the legislation! Seems they are more worried about their personal standing within the ruins of a Tory party than actually doing whats morally right! I get they were threatened with losing the Tory Whip, but even Sunak isn't stupid enough to defenestrate his party by removing 100 MP's from the Whip!! What a ****ing state - a government passes legislation which states something that factually isn't true. What next legislation to say elections are against the sovereignty of the country?

Then that utter **** MP at Doncaster claiming that NHS waiting lists are down to immigrants, when in truth, its immigrants that are keeping the NHS running and lack of investment by the Tories thats led to the current situation.

So, Michelle Mone will make £60M out of the PPE fiasco. She got the contract via the "VIP Fast Lane" which has now been shown to have been illegal. I may be being a tad naïve here but, as she made the money via an illegal channel, IMO she should give the money back. If she doesn't then the police MUST act and probably ought to even if she does give it back. This applies to all who made a killing via the illegal "VIP Fast Lane" such as Hancock's favourite pub landlord..... putting my sensible hat back on... it aint gonna happen, now, is it? And that, my friends, is indicative of what is wrong with the UK today.

So, Michelle Mone will make £60M out of the PPE fiasco. She got the contract via the "VIP Fast Lane" which has now been shown to have been illegal. I may be being a tad naïve here but, as she made the money via an illegal channel, IMO she should give the money back. If she doesn't then the police MUST act and probably ought to even if she does give it back. This applies to all who made a killing via the illegal "VIP Fast Lane" such as Hancock's favourite pub landlord..... putting my sensible hat back on... it aint gonna happen, now, is it? And that, my friends, is indicative of what is wrong with the UK today.
    You’re not a ‘tad naive’...just, imo, describing what’s morally right and, in your last sentence, what’s factually right too.

Agreed although not sure why you’re making the U.K. a special case! Not sure if you saw her interview on Sunday but it was thoroughly unconvincing and I’m surprised Laura Kuenssberg didn’t press her on how husband and wife can have income which they 100% do not use for their spouses or other family members. Riddled with deceit and self denial. Maybe she’s gearing up for a senior minister’s job?

Thank goodness there are newspapers (The Grauniad) that actually do some serious investigative work and expose these charlatans.

As I've seen said elsewhere, when she moaned she was trying to help out the country in crisis, no you weren't if you as a wealthy person were actually trying to assist, you would have done it at cost, not make £60 million and supply PPE not fit for purpose!!

Page 85 of 93 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)