+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A club that tries

A club that tries

I chose that as the thread title because I'm very mindful of where we've come from and the problems we've had with injurues and the ongoing problem with ffp.

This isn't about us not trying-I know we are. It's about how we progress.

Name:  squad.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  73.5 KB

I'm also aware that Eddie couldn't say much different publicly-he's not one for hanging his players out to dry in the media like Bruce or Pardew were and that's a good thing, obviously.

However, and this goes back to our previous thread about failure being ingrained in our club-I'm a bit concerned if Eddie really does think we've got a really good squad. We certainly have some great players and some good ones but is it really good. Is this Eddie being too loyal to some players? If we start next season with Murphy, Miggy, Longstaff, Burn, Wilson even...what does that say?

And yes, I know that we can't make wholesale changes but is Eddie really looking at this group of players with Ritchie, Dummett, Lascelles, Murphy, Longstaff, Krafth, Almiron, Dbravka and genuinely thinking it's great? They were good for what we needed at the time-and were good enough to help us to 4th last season (although our luck with injuries was the reverse of last season and other clubs hadn't got their act together) but I don't fancy the prospect of starting another season relying on them.

Eddie's very much a 'people' person-Longstaff recently praised him for his arm around the shoulder approach and, again, I like that about him but is his relationship with certain players giving a 'rose tinted specs' view of the squad. The unfortunate facts is that, if we want to progress, he/we can't be too sentimental about players.

And DON'T come back at me with 'or about managers too'.

Thoughts and maybe tin hat on?

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I chose that as the thread title because I'm very mindful of where we've come from and the problems we've had with injurues and the ongoing problem with ffp.

This isn't about us not trying-I know we are. It's about how we progress.

Name:  squad.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  73.5 KB

I'm also aware that Eddie couldn't say much different publicly-he's not one for hanging his players out to dry in the media like Bruce or Pardew were and that's a good thing, obviously.

However, and this goes back to our previous thread about failure being ingrained in our club-I'm a bit concerned if Eddie really does think we've got a really good squad. We certainly have some great players and some good ones but is it really good. Is this Eddie being too loyal to some players? If we start next season with Murphy, Miggy, Longstaff, Burn, Wilson even...what does that say?

And yes, I know that we can't make wholesale changes but is Eddie really looking at this group of players with Ritchie, Dummett, Lascelles, Murphy, Longstaff, Krafth, Almiron, Dbravka and genuinely thinking it's great? They were good for what we needed at the time-and were good enough to help us to 4th last season (although our luck with injuries was the reverse of last season and other clubs hadn't got their act together) but I don't fancy the prospect of starting another season relying on them.

Eddie's very much a 'people' person-Longstaff recently praised him for his arm around the shoulder approach and, again, I like that about him but is his relationship with certain players giving a 'rose tinted specs' view of the squad. The unfortunate facts is that, if we want to progress, he/we can't be too sentimental about players.

And DON'T come back at me with 'or about managers too'.

Thoughts and maybe tin hat on?
    No need for the tin hat! Personally I wouldn’t say our squad was “ really good” in the context of the footballing ability of some of them, ie Miggy, Longstaff, Murphy, dubs, but we have to here this type of player in the “squad” , I don’t expect us to have a squad full of galacticos, just not possible under the current restrictions. However I reckon we could, and must, upgrade the likes of those mentioned so we have an improved footballing squad, if that makes sense,but those players I believe would have a part to play next season, albeit reduced. The others Ritchie, Dummett, Wilson, lewis, Gillespie, possibly Krafth,although I like him, and a few out of contract players will be gone as well, but we have to be careful we don’t thin the squad out too much,look what happened this season with injuries. Eddie and the back room staff have a lot of work to do in the summer,and I would like to see a “ big” signing at centre forward, maybe the guy from Napoli, along with 4 quality additions, not too much to ask for? Anyway glad it’s not my problem,roll on summer!

I see his point and I agree, he wants to add a couple but he also wants to keep his powder dry about who and how many.

If we are happy to sit still we have a very good squad. Fully fit we are top 4 but what if we get another run of freak injuries again?

I want a great squad and there are many players who could eadily be upgraded to mitigate this risk. No overhaul needed but I'd have thought we could certainly upgrade 3 or 4 in the summer. Theres always room to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    I see his point and I agree, he wants to add a couple but he also wants to keep his powder dry about who and how many.

If we are happy to sit still we have a very good squad. Fully fit we are top 4 but what if we get another run of freak injuries again?

I want a great squad and there are many players who could eadily be upgraded to mitigate this risk. No overhaul needed but I'd have thought we could certainly upgrade 3 or 4 in the summer. Theres always room to improve.
    Well summed up. If over each of the next two windows we can bring in 2/3 quality players into the squad plus hopefully, the way they are progressing, a couple of the youngsters promoted then we will have the basis of a very decent squad.

It’s been a rollercoaster of a season but a good one overall. We’ve scored 85 goals in 38 games - an average of over 2.2 goals per game. That’s impressive and evidence that we don’t need an overhaul. Far from it. I’ve been critical of the likes of Murphy and Longstaff but both have chipped in with good contributions and going forward should be valuable squad players. I wouldn’t be selling either.

On the downside we’ve conceded 62 goals which is a concern.

Dummet & Ritchie will be moving on this summer, freeing up wages and squad places. I’d look to move on Miggy and one of Trippier or Wilson. I think it would harm us to lose two experienced pros in one window. 2 or 3 quality signings in the right positions (defensive CM, CB, LB and RW-cum-ST) is what we need. No need for an overhaul. I trust our manager and board to make the right appointments to replace the tiny bloke Ashworth who hasn’t put enough time or effort in here to be missed. A big summer ahead but I’m confident we will continue to make progress.

A couple of good signings can pull up the quality of the whole squad and so we don’t need a major overhaul.
    We’ll get a much clearer picture if we can have a normal season re injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by 18nufc92 View Post
    It’s been a rollercoaster of a season but a good one overall. We’ve scored 85 goals in 38 games - an average of over 2.2 goals per game. That’s impressive and evidence that we don’t need an overhaul. Far from it. I’ve been critical of the likes of Murphy and Longstaff but both have chipped in with good contributions and going forward should be valuable squad players. I wouldn’t be selling either.

On the downside we’ve conceded 62 goals which is a concern.

Dummet & Ritchie will be moving on this summer, freeing up wages and squad places. I’d look to move on Miggy and one of Trippier or Wilson. I think it would harm us to lose two experienced pros in one window. 2 or 3 quality signings in the right positions (defensive CM, CB, LB and RW-cum-ST) is what we need. No need for an overhaul. I trust our manager and board to make the right appointments to replace the tiny bloke Ashworth who hasn’t put enough time or effort in here to be missed. A big summer ahead but I’m confident we will continue to make progress.
    For detailed info on end of contracts and salary availability please see my thread named 'contracts ending this season'

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)