Quote Originally Posted by Gowboy View Post
The Board have to take a HUGE amount of responsibility for this whole debacle. They should have shipped out GA at the end of last season when it was clear his style of play was awful. You sit down with him and agree he needs to go with European qualification on his CV looking really good and that is the time to split amicably. You cut a deal.
Hammy was brought in as a temporary manager - he was available and he is not going to say no when asked to help HIS club out. The Board should then have said either “we are going for an experienced guy, do you want to be his assistant?” or “do you want the manager’s job, but you have to take an experienced number 2, not Brian Kerr?”.
Very difficult for Hammy to have turned down an offer to be Motherwell boss, especially when the Board are likely to be making very positive noises of support. In many ways it would be hard for him to stand there and say “No. I’ll just stay at the Academy.”
Sadly, he was out his depth and this was obvious towards the end of 2022. Again the Board should have taken the decision to terminate his contract earlier, then had time in which to make an appointment and give the new guy the window for recruitment.
I know hindsight is a great thing but there are three instances of when the Board failed to act on decisions that are their responsibility. As a result we have no manager, will need time to get a new one, a bunch of players recruited by guys no longer at Fir Park and who have found themselves in the middle of a real mess.
And where does Hammy go now? A man with a young family ( I think) who gave up a very safe job certainly in part because of his loyalty to the club. He doesn’t have the ability to be a manager, that’s clear, but he is now out of a job and will find it difficult to get back into football, so what does he do?
And while I am rambling - it does seem very odd that Alan Burrows baled out from a place he was secure unless he was tapped up by Aberdeen or was so hacked off by the Board he had had enough.
The Board, I assume, are well intentioned but you have to question their ability to do the job - a lot of this mess is on their doorstep.
A very sensible summation there Gowboy, and not much at all to argue with. Clearly there's something truly amiss at FP; what, who knows ... but 'the Fear' is here and not going anywhere any time soon