+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Matchday thread: Rams v Addicks

I suppose I have a soft spot for fozzy having had his awful injuries and come back, his length of service too and that he's been written off by a lot of fans in the past too.

Never going to be considered one of our best but Mr Consistent and would be a nice way to round off 10 years with some award.

Just what was needed, a good solid performance to steady the ship. A break gives us chance for the squad to regroup and gear up for the big push. Barnsley will be a massive test and we will have to be at our best, as Young Mr Grace said 'well done everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    I had my usual effect as mentioned to my dad how good fozzy is consistently then he went and made a couple of awful passes, but him and cashin have been superb as a partnership.

I know didzy gets the plaudits, and rightly so, for his goals and all round excellent play but if I was voting now for POTY fozzy would definitely be up there.
    He's always been poor with passing, but his general defending and positioning is fantastic. CB is definitely his best position and this is his best season to date.
    Still would give Didzy PoTY at this point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    He's always been poor with passing, but his general defending and positioning is fantastic. CB is definitely his best position and this is his best season to date.
    Still would give Didzy PoTY at this point though.
    it's hard to argue against Didzy. It's refreshing to have a few candidates though

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    I suppose I have a soft spot for fozzy having had his awful injuries and come back, his length of service too and that he's been written off by a lot of fans in the past too.

Never going to be considered one of our best but Mr Consistent and would be a nice way to round off 10 years with some award.
    100% agree.
    Understand he has to organise his own testimonial event/s. It’s so unusual for a player to be with the same club for ten years (can’t remember the last one) maybe DCFC have forgotten how it’s done, but I’d think he deserves more in the way of support.

I'm late to this discussion, but isn't addicks a London corruption of Atheletic?

Comfy 2-0 win. Sibs started off below his usual standards but grew into the game I thought. The rest were, quite simply, good.

I googled the origin of their nickname and found this... a variation on the fish theme.... Charlton's nickname, Addicks, is thought to come from the South East London way for saying haddock fish. It is said that a local fishmonger would attend Charlton matches waving a haddock nailed to a stick to advertise his shop.

Looks like there isn't a definitive origin other than it's got something to do with Haddock...

5th v 6th next week. Should be a good game. 4 of us over and doing corporate so it'd better be

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Comfy 2-0 win. Sibs started off below his usual standards but grew into the game I thought. The rest were, quite simply, good.

I googled the origin of their nickname and found this... a variation on the fish theme.... Charlton's nickname, Addicks, is thought to come from the South East London way for saying haddock fish. It is said that a local fishmonger would attend Charlton matches waving a haddock nailed to a stick to advertise his shop.

Looks like there isn't a definitive origin other than it's got something to do with Haddock...

5th v 6th next week. Should be a good game. 4 of us over and doing corporate so it'd better be
    Coaching staff were noticeably quick to provide Sibs with ‘advice’ and an arm round the shoulder at every opportunity during that first uneasy 15 mins.
    Good to see and seemingly effective because he did indeed ‘grow into the game’.

On the subject of Fozzy’s ten year tenure. I may be wrong but, although Sturridge came close, I think we may have to go back to the days of Hector and McFarland to find a ten year man...seems that rare and praiseworthy. Nigel’s best signing?

So continuing the theme of opponents' nicknames, we come to Barnsley, aka the Tykes (Colliers or Reds).

A Tyke is defined as a "crude uncouth ill-bred person lacking culture or refinement".

I think we need go no further on this one.

Although Reds and Colliers seem strangely appropriate for the birthplace of Arthur Scargill.

Club nicknames have long gone out of fashion not least because of the influx of overseas players. Local identities don't apply anymore. The names now have to conform to modern ideas as to what is and isn't acceptable. Ideas that don''t 'offend' certain minorities. Hartlepool would certainly have some explaining to do.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)