+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Thomson

Jeff Thomson

I'm not a cricket enthusiast as you know, but this one name that stands out from all others for me.
    For some reason his name came into my head last night. I was sure he had died years ago and was surprised to see he was still alive when I googled him. So I went on YouTube and there's lots of stuff on there about him including recent interviews. Unlike our stuffy player's he came from humble beginnings and was a total one off rebel, he has no remorse for the things he said and done. When asked if he really meant he liked to see blood on the pitch, he said yeah, I wouldn't have said it otherwise. He liked to drink even the night before test games, he told Chappell it made him even more evil the next day.
    Top batsmen who faced him described him as frightening and terrifying. He consistently bowled at between 158 and 160kmh. What a bloke.
    If England player's had the same aggression and winning mentality and put a bit of blood on the pitch then I would become interested in Cricket.

A few Aussie cricketers have popped their clogs recently so easy to get confused. But Thompson was fast.
    But that was at a time when fast bowling was truly quite spectacular to watch.
    So many fast back in the day until W Indies got so good at it that the ICC decided to limit that amount of fast bowling per over to one!
    All the white batsmen at the time were complaining it just wasn't cricket....to keep beating them at their own game.....
    Cricket has been in disarray ever since. I loved the quickies......

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    A few Aussie cricketers have popped their clogs recently so easy to get confused. But Thompson was fast.
    But that was at a time when fast bowling was truly quite spectacular to watch.
    So many fast back in the day until W Indies got so good at it that the ICC decided to limit that amount of fast bowling per over to one!
    All the white batsmen at the time were complaining it just wasn't cricket....to keep beating them at their own game.....
    Cricket has been in disarray ever since. I loved the quickies......
    They didn’t limit the amount you could bowl fast FFS! 🤣🤣

They limited the number of times per over that you could bowl bouncers as they target the chest and head.

Thompson has always loved the sound of his own voice and he was very good and very fast but only for a very short period of time and only took around 200 Test wickets.

Denis Lillee in his pomp was what a fast bowler should be, my favourite all time bowler.

If people want a rebel to follow then Botham was streets ahead of Thompson.

Remember well watching the 74 Ashes series in Oz on TV … Thomson and Lille’s in their pomp against England’s aging batting line up .. Edrich, Amiss & Co. No helmets and limited body protection. A miracle no-one died in that series … brutal fast bowling

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    They didn’t limit the amount you could bowl fast FFS! ����

They limited the number of times per over that you could bowl bouncers as they target the chest and head.

Thompson has always loved the sound of his own voice and he was very good and very fast but only for a very short period of time and only took around 200 Test wickets.

Denis Lillee in his pomp was what a fast bowler should be, my favourite all time bowler.

If people want a rebel to follow then Botham was streets ahead of Thompson.
    Oh for FFS Mick, give me a break. I meant bouncers not fast. The same reason all the same. Use to love watching K Ambrose of the W Indies running into the batsmen from England.
    Other then Gooch, most couldn't cope with the short stuff. No proper defense and just great bowling.

Lillee and Thompson are lionised in Australia, and rightly so, you would go a long way to find a better partnership.
    Our two working class fast bowlers Larwood and Trueman albeit years apart were never really accepted by the old school tie brigade. Larwood took the blame for the bodyline tour when he was following upper class Jardines orders. The Aussies didn't like a taste of their own medicine.
    We are too gracious, too much, oh I say, good shot old boy. That's why we used to collapse like a deck of cards.
    I know I take the mick over cricket but it's a great game, it's just the old school tie thing that always want me to see England get a lamping.
    It's not about winning it's the way you play.
    Load of bollux, tell that to the Aussies, Windies, and Pakistani's.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Lillee and Thompson are lionised in Australia, and rightly so, you would go a long way to find a better partnership.
    Our two working class fast bowlers Larwood and Trueman albeit years apart were never really accepted by the old school tie brigade. Larwood took the blame for the bodyline tour when he was following upper class Jardines orders. The Aussies didn't like a taste of their own medicine.
    We are too gracious, too much, oh I say, good shot old boy. That's why we used to collapse like a deck of cards.
    I know I take the mick over cricket but it's a great game, it's just the old school tie thing that always want me to see England get a lamping.
    It's not about winning it's the way you play.
    Load of bollux, tell that to the Aussies, Windies, and Pakistani's.
    Most of our present day players are from ordinary backgrounds.

Lads like Stokes, Broad, Anderson, Bairstow can mix it with anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Most of our present day players are from ordinary backgrounds.

Lads like Stokes, Broad, Anderson, Bairstow can mix it with anyone.
    Is the bouncer rule still in place today?

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Is the bouncer rule still in place today?
    Yep……max of two per over I believe.

Usually enforced more when lower order batsmen are at the crease.

I remember watching the test West Indies text on TV, 1963, with Brian Close advancing down the wicket to both Wes Hall and Griffiths. He took a number of hits on the body.
    I remember one of the bowlers failed to complete the delivery as he went up the wicket !
    Happy days !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)