+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Context

TS has and still is an excellent chairman, he has backed his new manager and that is all we need to see. He runs the club well and unlike so many other clubs in the Championship and League 1 he isn't bending the rules, the EFL needs to clamp down on the dodgy clubs. For me the greatest season under TS was when we started with -17 points and Robins not only kept us in league 2 but we ended up in the top half. That saved the club, he followed that by giving us a great ground in the town.

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Totally agree with this thread. But not sure this recent transfer activity is a splurge. I think it is just a quick spending of the income from Barlaser. But good that we didn't hang around and seemed to have got some players in that give us a good shout of stopping up. Well done all concerned in the circumstances
    I have a theory on this - I think the money was always available to Warne but Warne was reluctant/scared to spend big and we used to lose loads of our targets to other clubs - This didn't happen this time and I wonder if that is because Paul Davis isn't as much in the inner circle now. His last few columns have featured Richard Wood quite a bit who is now where near the first team and the transfers were all mostly done and dusted before anyone got a chance to let other clubs know that we were interested.

It is just a theory but it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by scum_triumphant View Post
    I have a theory on this - I think the money was always available to Warne but Warne was reluctant/scared to spend big and we used to lose loads of our targets to other clubs - This didn't happen this time and I wonder if that is because Paul Davis isn't as much in the inner circle now. His last few columns have featured Richard Wood quite a bit who is now where near the first team and the transfers were all mostly done and dusted before anyone got a chance to let other clubs know that we were interested.

It is just a theory but it makes sense.
    Yeah, but i don't go with that in a way. If a player is available then his name is circlated to the league so everyone get to know. The Agents will leak it out who's interested to create more interest( it's in his own interest to do so). Scouts go to matches all the time watching potential targets.
    So if any club waits for us, they are in a dire state.

I agree that keep it quiet until they sign is a better way to operate though..............utm.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    While it is quiet I am taking the opportunity to put any niggling, left over negativity over the chairman and direction of the club into context.
    Tomorrow we have a realistic chance of winning away at Swansea to go 8 points clear of relegation.
    In recent years we have.
    Gone head to head with chesterfield for promotion
    Gone head to head with notts county for promotion
    Beaten Aldershot in a play off semi final
    Beaten S****horpe in a play off semi final
    Lost to Dag and Red in a play off final

All those teams are now non league and it is getting worse for S****horpe and Donny look like joining them next few seasons.

Tony Stewart is the greatest chairman in the club’s history.
    This says it all really. We're not just surviving at the moment either, we're blooming. These are great times in our history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12