+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Anyone know the story behind this photo?

Anyone know the story behind this photo?

There’s a Twitter thread showing FC Hibernians of Malta wearing a classic Notts shirt in the early 1980s. Anyone know the history behind them wearing our shirt (including the classic magpie logo)? Someone suggests it might be because Jimmy used to go on his holidays there:

https://twitter.com/peterotooleart/s...30103081857025

Did we play any friendlies in Malta or friendly tournaments that might have included FC Hibernians around that time? Wondering if there was a kit clash and they borrowed our kit?

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Did we play any friendlies in Malta or friendly tournaments that might have included FC Hibernians around that time? Wondering if there was a kit clash and they borrowed our kit?
    Notts didn't play in Malta AFAIA. Those shirts are the 1979 variation which were updated in 1981 when the collar flaps were discarded, so I would guess they were cast offs donated to a local team in Malta summer 1981 or later and Hibs borrowed them.

It was fairly common practice in the 70s and early 80s for clubs to borrow shirts when few had 3rd strips and when sponsorship could be an issue. Middlesbrough wore Man United tops at Man City in 1981 because they didn't know the game was being televised (in the days when you couldn't have sponsors on TV). France wore a local team's green and white striped kit in a World Cup finals match in Argentina '78 when both them and Hungary turned up with their white away kits only.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Notts didn't play in Malta AFAIA. Those shirts are the 1979 variation which were updated in 1981 when the collar flaps were discarded, so I would guess they were cast offs donated to a local team in Malta summer 1981 or later and Hibs borrowed them.

It was fairly common practice in the 70s and early 80s for clubs to borrow shirts when few had 3rd strips and when sponsorship could be an issue. Middlesbrough wore Man United tops at Man City in 1981 because they didn't know the game was being televised (in the days when you couldn't have sponsors on TV). France wore a local team's green and white striped kit in a World Cup finals match in Argentina '78 when both them and Hungary turned up with their white away kits only.
    Yeah, that all makes sense. Nice to see the kits were put to good use!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post

Thanks for that. Their nickname is the Peacocks, apparently, although they still appear to play in black and white (but no stripes).

I myself played in the Maltese Premier League for a team called Sliema Wanderers.
    The poster on Twitter has it wrong that’s not a Hibernians team picture it’s a team called Rabat Ajax from Malta.
    They’re no longer at the level they were in the 80s and 90s.
    There called The Magpies in fact if I remember rightly when I was over in Malta, Rabat sent a winger called Micheal Cutajar on trial with Notts but he wasn’t good enough.
    Last edited by WarsopPie; 02-03-2023 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarsopPie View Post
    I myself played in the Maltese Premier League for a team called Sliema Wanderers.
    I've heard of them, played against Celtic in the European Cup and Swansea City in the UEFA. Impressive!

Sliema Wanderers were relegated last season after 37 years in the top division. They have been promoted this season with six games remaining.
    Rabat Ajax still exist but are currently playing in the third tier.