+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What happened ?

What happened ?

I'm curious, Vinni was in charge at Anderlecht for two seasons, they did OK, but nothing special, they certainly weren't a powerhouse ripping up the Belgian League with Total Football. But he transformed Burnley overnight into a powerhouse ripping up the Championship with Total Football. Although he arrived as a very promising young coach, with a huge reputation as a world class footballer, there was no indication that we were going to get what we have got from his Burnley team, and that we were going to get it from his very first game.

So what happened when he turned up that first day at Gawthorpe, how has he done this, no one, simply no one predicted this, they couldn't have done, it really is bordering on the miraculous.

He was just using Anderlecht for practice, trying out different ideas and strategems until he knew he'd got it right, then he came to us to be close to his beloved City.

On your first day as a fireman mon ami, you probably fell off the ladder, doused yourself with a hose, but after a few mistakes and a bit of gentle ribbing, no doubt you got your $hit together?

I'm still trying to work out if Alan Pace is a f*cking genius or the world's luckiest Mormon.

Either way he certainly spotted a winner in Vincent Kompany and well done Alan for backing Vinny to the hilt.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    He was just using Anderlecht for practice, trying out different ideas and strategems until he knew he'd got it right, then he came to us to be close to his beloved City.
    But seeing as Anderlecht were nowt special, how did he know he'd got it right ? I can't buy that one Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    On your first day as a fireman mon ami, you probably fell off the ladder, doused yourself with a hose, but after a few mistakes and a bit of gentle ribbing, no doubt you got your $hit together?
    It too quite a while to become just competent mon ami, many months at a busy Fire Station, and the ribbings were most certainly not gentle, a fecking thick skin was required to survive as a fireman back in the day.

It seems to have happened with Vinni overnight, just as soon as he walked through the door.

I suppose I should turn the question on it's head, given what's he's done at Burnley right from day one, why was he not more succesful at Anderlecht ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    It too quite a while to become just competent mon ami, many months at a busy Fire Station, and the ribbings were most certainly not gentle, a fecking thick skin was required to survive as a fireman back in the day.

It seems to have happened with Vinni overnight, just as soon as he walked through the door.

I suppose I should turn the question on it's head, given what's he's done at Burnley right from day one, why was he not more succesful at Anderlecht ?
    Me and you have discussed this issue before. Sometimes the timing is just right Sir Alex to United, SD to us, Howe to Newcastle, Nicholson at Tottenham.

Hand to a glove and all that. It's a managerial merry go-round, Pace has one heck of a job trying to keep VK at Turf Moor that is for sure.
    EPL managers sacked so far:
    Scott Parker Bournemouth August 30
    Thomas Tuchel Chelsea September 7
    Graham Potter Brighton September 8
    Bruno Lage Wolves October 2
    Steven Gerrard Aston Villa October 20
    Ralph Hasenhuttl Southampton November 7
    Frank Lampard Everton January 23
    Jesse Marsch Leeds February 6.
    Nathan Jones Southampton February 12

How long can we keep VK at Turf Moor is a more pertinent question I think.

Attachment 23630

Nicked from the BET365 website:
    Vincent Kompany’s incredible first season at Burnley continues.
    After suffering relegation, the Clarets had to deal with the loss of some senior squad members and a total of 30 players leaving Turf Moor in the summer.
    In one of the most competitive leagues in world football, the Belgian has come in and immediately adapted Burnley’s style of play – transforming them into a successful possession-based, free-flowing team that has dominated the majority of sides they have faced so far.
    This week, Huddersfield manager Neil Warnock said Kompany’s side were the best team he has seen in 20-25 years of the Championship.
    The Clarets extended their unbeaten league run to 14 matches with a comprehensive 4-0 victory over the Terriers – maintaining their 12-point lead at the top and moving 19 points clear of third place.
    With just two league defeats all season, Burnley are now all but certain to secure an immediate return to the top-flight in emphatic style and could potentially reach a sensational 100-point haul.

Attachment 23631

How on earth is Alan Pace going to keep him at Turf Moor?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    How on earth is Alan Pace going to keep him at Turf Moor?
    That will certainly be a problem which must be addressed at some time in the not to distant future, however, there is no point in worrying about what may or may not happen. As always, enjoy what is happening now and let the future take care of itself.

After 105 years of history we all feared the worst, however, some 36 years later we are still here, enjoying our football and can look back on the amazing progress that we have made in those last 36 years. ENJOY!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    That will certainly be a problem which must be addressed at some time in the not to distant future, however, there is no point in worrying about what may or may not happen. As always, enjoy what is happening now and let the future take care of itself.

After 105 years of history we all feared the worst, however, some 36 years later we are still here, enjoying our football and can look back on the amazing progress that we have made in those last 36 years. ENJOY!
    This is a whole new ball game Supersub6. Sinkov asks the question, "What Happened?"

I don't know the answer but I'll bet about 85/90 Football League Chairmen wish they did!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)