+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Welcome Jim Goodwin

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    Why would it have to be just one though? We were screaming out for a lot more than that
    Oh yes, of course - it was purely hypothetical and out of my own interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    Technology has got better but the standard of player has worsened so is it really working? Maybe better suited to Man City or Bayern Munich but it's a load of old 5hite in our level of football.

Ill bet Mark Birighitti wears a StatSport tracker or similar......How's he getting on🫣

Sweat,mud and grass stains on a tangerine jersey used to be the indicator of physical performance and we as fans would rather witness that than what some bloody ipad tells us.
    No one is suggesting this tech makes for better players but only luddites will deny it's usefulness. 🤪

What is does do is highlight fitness of players in a comparable way across the industry. The use of heat maps can also be useful in tracking player position when compared to a given match. If this data isn't used correctly then that's on the manger/coaches.

Are folk seriously suggesting we should ditch all this and end up with less information about our players than the likes of Forfar get about theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    No one is suggesting this tech makes for better players but only luddites will deny it's usefulness. 🤪

What is does do is highlight fitness of players in a comparable way across the industry. The use of heat maps can also be useful in tracking player position when compared to a given match. If this data isn't used correctly then that's on the manger/coaches.

Are folk seriously suggesting we should ditch all this and end up with less information about our players than the likes of Forfar get about theirs?
    As per usual you have picked up on something I said and picked at a technicality.
    (Instead of responding to the general thrust of the post) and it's very tiresome.

I wasn't saying we should ditch iPad's, I'm saying let's identify a player by scouting him first. Surely that's the point you should be responding to instead of being your usual pedantic self 😎

And, I can tell you for a FACT that La Liga clubs don't use data first when scouting lower league players. They use available data as a supplement before firming up interest.

They watch the player FIRST, see him at first hand. Something we could do well to learn from.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    As per usual you have picked up on something I said and picked at a technicality.
    (Instead of responding to the general thrust of the post) and it's very tiresome.

I wasn't saying we should ditch iPad's, I'm saying let's identify a player by scouting him first. Surely that's the point you should be responding to instead of being your usual pedantic self 😎
    I agree actually for sure I have picked up on the use of iPads. I think it's just lazily used as a derogatory comment all the time by fans. In reality it's required these days.

The thing is, do you know the recruitment team simply use stats before a player is signed? If they do then I agree, more is needed. However, unless you are actually involved it's hard to see how you can make any rational comment about the process that has been used.

I've been using this site since 2004 and in that time I've won a few 'most pedantic' awards. 🙂

And it wasn't actually a reply to you anyway. 🙂

I agree actually for sure I have picked up on the use of iPads. I think it's just lazily used as a derogatory comment all the time by fans. In reality it's required these days.

The thing is, do you know the recruitment team simply use stats before a player is signed? If they do then I agree, more is needed. However, unless you are actually involved it's hard to see how you can make any rational comment about the process that has been used.

I've been using this site since 2004 and in that time I've won a few 'most pedantic' awards. 🙂
    I can tell you definitely Spanish clubs don't sign players off data first. They use available data only after identifying the player and watching him. United seem to have been doing it the other way round and at times it looks to me like we have signed a player without scouting reports, so probably based on video and AGENT recommendation only. See where that has got us with certain players.

Call me a luddite aye but I like to see a player over 5 or 6 games before forming an opinion as to how he's going to fit into the way the team plays.

This stuff honestly bores me to death. Heat maps🙄😂.....Charlie Miller imo was one of our best midfielders to wear tangerine but his heat map would just be a red dot in the middle of the centre circle.....analyse that🥺

I honestly think all this technology pish is making the modern day player more robotic and less off the cuff and in turn is killing the entertainment on view. I'm bored watching football nowadays to the point where I'd rather watch a film than 90 minutes of soulless guff on tv.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    I can tell you definitely Spanish clubs don't sign players off data first. They use available data only after identifying the player and watching him. United seem to have been doing it the other way round and at times it looks to me like we have signed a player without scouting reports, so probably based on video and AGENT recommendation only. See where that has got us with certain players.

Call me a luddite aye but I like to see a player over 5 or 6 games before forming an opinion as to how he's going to fit into the way the team plays.
    The point in making is you don't know we don't do that. It may 'seem' like that and, who knows, you may be right.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    This stuff honestly bores me to death. Heat maps🙄😂.....Charlie Miller imo was one of our best midfielders to wear tangerine but his heat map would just be a red dot in the middle of the centre circle.....analyse that🥺

I honestly think all this technology pish is making the modern day player more robotic and less off the cuff and in turn is killing the entertainment on view. I'm bored watching football nowadays to the point where I'd rather watch a film than 90 minutes of soulless guff on tv.
    Good ane, all this stuff keeps demand for software developers high. 😂

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)