+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Music. Gigs. Sounds bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    OK lets work with this a little bit. I listened and thought "Its OK but nothing more". Not my usual reaction to a Beatles song, but times and musical tastes move on. Then I heard some of the more current rap ets stuff being played by my son and thought "this is a work of genius". Its all relative.

Then I got to thinking. 53 years between singles? Bo**ocks it is - "Free as a Bird" was a Beatles single released in December 1995. I believe it charted well in both the UK and USA as well as other countries. A year later "Real Love" was released as a Beatles single
    Calm down GP...it was just a comment about a song. Nothing contentious. I’ve always, perhaps wrongly, thought of ‘Let it Be’ as being the Beatles’ last single, although I think ‘The Long and Winding Road’ was later released as a US single but remained just a UK album track. Both were released in 1970 hence my ‘O’ levels to ‘approaching 70’, 53 year gap comment.

I like ‘Free as a Bird’ too, but I honestly don’t know what makes a song, or any other piece of art/music/literature, genius or ordinary. Ultimately I suspect it just comes down to what we like and beyond that things can become a tad pretentious.

P.S. Perhaps the difference between ‘Free as a Bird’ and ‘Now and Then’ is that Lennon wrote the former in 1977, seven years after the Beatles split and three years before his death. The record was eventually released by the three remaining Beatles long after Lennon’s death and I don’t think he’s on it. Technology and AI have now allowed the voice of JL and GH’s guitar to feature prominently on ‘Now and Then’ hence the claim that it’s a Beatles record rather than something by Paul, George and Ringo.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 02-11-2023 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Calm down GP...it was just a comment about a song. Nothing contentious. I’ve always, perhaps wrongly, thought of ‘Let it Be’ as being the Beatles’ last single, although I think ‘The Long and Winding Road’ was later released as a US single but remained just a UK album track. Both were released in 1970 hence my ‘O’ levels to ‘approaching 70’, 53 year gap comment.

I like ‘Free as a Bird’ too, but I honestly don’t know what makes a song, or any other piece of art/music/literature, genius or ordinary. Ultimately I suspect it just comes down to what we like and beyond that things can become a tad pretentious.

P.S. Perhaps the difference between ‘Free as a Bird’ and ‘Now and Then’ is that Lennon wrote the former in 1977, seven years after the Beatles split and three years before his death. The record was eventually released by the three remaining Beatles long after Lennon’s death and I don’t think he’s on it. Technology and AI have now allowed the voice of JL and GH’s guitar to feature prominently on ‘Now and Then’ hence the claim that it’s a Beatles record rather than something by Paul, George and Ringo.
    One thing I’d query, and you’ve mentioned it - the use of ‘AI’. Sounds like a touch of ‘emperor’s New Clothes’ to me. ‘improved recording techniques’ I have no doubt because they improve all the time, but flat-earther me is very suspicious about the AI *******s as a whole and I think this is another example of the media catching on to a new catchphrase and spamming us with it

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    One thing I’d query, and you’ve mentioned it - the use of ‘AI’. Sounds like a touch of ‘emperor’s New Clothes’ to me. ‘improved recording techniques’ I have no doubt because they improve all the time, but flat-earther me is very suspicious about the AI *******s as a whole and I think this is another example of the media catching on to a new catchphrase and spamming us with it
    Totally accept that, and I’m not sure I’m right about ‘Free as a Bird’ either. As the two major music aficionados on here I did wonder what you and MA would make of the use of technology and the AI aspect. Having a little bit more of an ‘I know what I like’ attitude...I just know that I like it.

Totally accept that, and I’m not sure I’m right about ‘Free as a Bird’ either. As the two major music aficionados on here I did wonder what you and MA would make of the use of technology and the AI aspect. Having a little bit more of an ‘I know what I like’ attitude...I just know that I like it.
    I have no objection to the best tech we have being used. There’s a less lauded but to me more interesting (and massive) recovery of Joe Meek demos which I get sent excerpts from Cherry Red, and it just wouldn’t be releaseable without new tech. My observation was the label, ‘AI’, just marketing bull**** jumped on by the media

This evening, for the first time in 6 months I shall be attending a Soul night. Not entirely Soul, there will also be R&B (proper R&B, not the stuff they label as such these days), Ska and Reggae. Not the taste of many on here, I appreciate, but I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I have no objection to the best tech we have being used. There’s a less lauded but to me more interesting (and massive) recovery of Joe Meek demos which I get sent excerpts from Cherry Red, and it just wouldn’t be releaseable without new tech. My observation was the label, ‘AI’, just marketing bull**** jumped on by the media
    I think you’re on a different (higher) level there than most of us, AF. Complicated chap, Joe Meek...not many are described as a ‘musical moron’ but a ‘genius with sound’.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    This evening, for the first time in 6 months I shall be attending a Soul night. Not entirely Soul, there will also be R&B (proper R&B, not the stuff they label as such these days), Ska and Reggae. Not the taste of many on here, I appreciate, but I'm looking forward to it.
    Which is all that really matters. Enjoy!

Which is all that really matters. Enjoy!
    Thanks rA. The day's fun starts with a retirees' afternoon at the Secondary School I used to teach at. In excess of 100 owd buggers having a beer, some snacks and a reminisce from 3 till 630. Then into Amsterdam for a bite to eat and maybe another beer. Then off to the gig, last bus home which should see me safely there by 0200.

Life on the edge hey?

Sounds okay to me. MA...I have an album by GT Moore and the Reggae Guitars who I saw in Derby approaching half a century ago. It includes just about my favourite cover of Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door. Know anything about them?

Support to Dr Feelgood, Kings Hall, 30th Oct 75, my second ever gig. Such were the times, my pal Keith and 14 year old me had a couple of pints in the Green Man on St Peter’s Street before the gig

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)