+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T:- So who prefers MOTD without pundits etc now?

Viewing figures were up 500.000 so I guess plenty prefered it. I haven't watched it for years due to the amount of talking it has on it. Having said that I didn't watch last nights either because I'm not a fan of Premier League football these days

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv...s-Gary-Lineker

I always record it on watch in Sunday morning. Commentary is required but I fast forward though all of the punditry anyway

So it was perfectly fine for me.

Can't see the need to pay millions of taxpayer pounds for hosting and punditry for pre-recorded games. Now, live games are something else and these need the whole package I think

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Viewing figures were up 500.000 so I guess plenty prefered it.
    I'd like to think so but I'm guessing that increase was more down to curiosity as a result of all of the publicity that's been focussed on it.

Sadly, I expect Lineker et al will be back next week with nothing more than a word in his ear pleading for him to hold his council in future having now made his point. This open goal opportunity to get rid and replace these overpaid clowns will have been lost, with said pundits now loved and loathed to greater extremes than before in equal measure with the only damage being done to both the BBC and the government.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    I can't even remember the last time I watched MOTD, It's The Plastic Prem and holds no interest for me. Given all the assets they have available, you would think the Beeb would have thrown a sub on? But as you say, UTM, possibly contractual issues.
    I haven’t watched MOTD in years… years and years. I can honestly say, hand on heart, I have no idea who won the Premiership last season or the seasons before. I simply don’t give a fcuk about plastic football and the money men or the people who never watch live football.

It makes me wonder why people think commentary is necessary, as when you go to watch a footie match there is no commentary. I watched MOTD last night for the first time in years, and they obviously just showed the same amount of highlights that you would have got with the 'look at me' pundits. Twenty minutes in total, which just shows how much inane chat makes up the usual programme. A cop out by the BBC to show more of each game, obviously afraid that fans would not be able to understand the football without lots of unnecessary stats, and so turn off.
    500,000 is a good number of extra viewers. I t will be interesting to see how long the slap on the hand goes on for Big Ears.

Just because 500 thousand extra watched it doesnt mean they preferred it. It was car crash TV. The proof will be if the numbers continue at that level in that format...

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    Just because 500 thousand extra watched it doesnt mean they preferred it. It was car crash TV. The proof will be if the numbers continue at that level in that format...
    I’m guessing Lineker + probably expected it to drop, let’s hope it comes to bite them in the arse!

I'm surprised it wasn't higher tbh. Only half a million extra viewers despite dominating the weekends national news.

I watched it for the first time in a few months. As others have said it was car crash TV. I noticed they didn't even call it Match of The Day - it was retitled 'Premier League Highlights'.

Quote Originally Posted by calmpie View Post
    I always record it on watch in Sunday morning. Commentary is required but I fast forward though all of the punditry anyway

So it was perfectly fine for me.

Can't see the need to pay millions of taxpayer pounds for hosting and punditry for pre-recorded games. Now, live games are something else and these need the whole package I think
    Exactly my tactics & thoughts I prefer commentary but cannot remember the last time I didn't fast forward through the waffle.

The 500,000 is an impressive number and no doubt down to curiosity. It shouldn't be a surprise I can't recall a time when MOTD and it's well known presenter has been on the front pages for 3/4 days, the lead story on all news outlets on TV, radio. Basically everywhere.

It couldn't have gone much better for Linekar since the initial (faux) outrage, I don't think that even he would expected to get this much widespread support from colleagues. It's really has gone his way over the weekend.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast