+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: O/T Cheltenham festival

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Now not saying in the past & still at smaller meetings races are reviewed & if a jockey hasn't ridden their horse to gain it's best finishing position rules are in place to ban them. From what I can gather all races at the Cheltenham Festival were reviewed not heard any jockey being banned cause of this. Does happen I'm sure still horses aren't given that hard a race to get it's handicap mark down to a winnable one.
    Have you been to the Cheltenham festival. I went on gold cup day about 5 years ago when Native River won it.
    The atmosphere is unreal. The last half furlong of every race is electric.

Plenty of money taken by Cheltenham racecourse this week, with admission,
    & the £7.50 a pint Guinness.
    What a great success this meeting as proven.

Quote Originally Posted by avondalemiller View Post
    My brother was offered a job( when he'd retired) at a trainer based at Southwell. He used ride the retired horses along with his girl friend at the time. We went to Donny and one of this trainers horses was running. After my introduction to him, my brother asked if we should have a bet on his only runner. "oh no, it's been injured, and we're just giving it a run out"..........how many had a bet not knowing that it wasn't even trying to win. This trainer had a horse called Sandberg Denim(something like that) and my Dad always got the nod, either bet to win or EW, it won my Dad a few quid. It was the early 90's, Dad died 1996, bless him.
    You arent going to believe this avondale, but I'm a racing man although I go only on the flat and have been doing for years although love the cheltenham festival.
    I think the horse you have mentioned was a horse I backed a few times back in the day called 'Sandmoor Denim' and the trainer was a man called Roy Bowring.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Have you been to the Cheltenham festival. I went on gold cup day about 5 years ago when Native River won it.
    The atmosphere is unreal. The last half furlong of every race is electric.

Been once 2 mile Queen mother champion chase day. Couldn't move took ages to get a bet on then get back to a good viewing position. Irish make atmosphere it's unique.

Brighton FC owner Tony Bloom staked £600k to win £830k on his Champion Chase winner Energumene !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Plenty of money taken by Cheltenham racecourse this week, with admission,
    & the £7.50 a pint Guinness.
    What a great success this meeting as proven.
    ELK, it generated approx £238 Million over the week! That's some coin.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314