+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holding on to players

Regarding Langstaff, best case scenario would be to sell him for a large fee and get him loaned back for the rest of next season, like Grimsby did with Mcatee last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I don't think that's the case at all. I think Macca might go if too tempting an offer comes in but I reckon Cameron will definitely stay. Ruben, I think wants to stay, his after match interviews I think shows he has a love for the club, I don't think he will leave on a whim, I think it would be with a heavy heart
    I agree with all that. I think even if we go up Macca will go. I imagine we are paying him around 1500 a week. Let’s face it if a champ club comes in they will quite conceivably give him 10k plus and there’s no way he should turn that down or the club stop him as it would just not end well.

If a championship side does indeed come in for him just think of the transfer fee and likely sell on clause!

TBH I’m more concerned about what would happen if we lost the gaffer rather than any single player!

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Ruben is clearly waiting to see if we can gain promotion, no promotion no Ruben. Langstaff has 2 years on his contract and surely has to go up to the Championship to get the same style of play and supply he gets at Notts in order to score the goals. Again depends on promotion and what offers are on the table if we fail to go up. Cameron and Chicksen as above depends on promotion either way I can see them moving to a L2 club.
    Chicksen would be no big loss he can be easily replaced he’s been off the boil for a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by WarsopPie View Post
    Chicksen would be no big loss he can be easily replaced he’s been off the boil for a long time now.
    Chicksen is class. He has been playing out of position literally all of last season and this season. He is an orthodox LB by trade but has equipped himself brilliantly as a stand in LWB and especially as a LCB. This illustrates his football IQ and his willingness to learn and improve.

That he has been a mainstay of LW’s first 11 says everything you need to know. Slocombe, Cameron, Baldwin, Chicksen, Palmer, Ruben and Macca….and maybe Nemane…….the foundations of this years fantastic form.

Quote Originally Posted by PTID1862 View Post
    Being in league 2 could be key as it opens up signing players currently based overseas, much bigger pool for the Radar to go fishing in.
    The bros explained on one of the podcasts recently that it’s pretty much impossible to sign overseas players at League 1 and League 2 level given the restrictions in place. It’s only really at Championship level that it starts becoming possible.

Normally I'd expect footballers to leave without much sentiment if they get an offer from a higher league, but if we are ever going to see that trend bucked, I think the current situation at Notts County is the environment for it. You get the impression that the squad is extremely tight-knit and that the players are relishing the way we play. Indeed, it's fair to say that many of these players are shining so brightly precisely because of the way we play, and if they're wise, they might calculate that the grass isn't always greener at another club where they probably won't find the same spirit or style.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I agree with all that. I think even if we go up Macca will go. I imagine we are paying him around 1500 a week. Let’s face it if a champ club comes in they will quite conceivably give him 10k plus and there’s no way he should turn that down or the club stop him as it would just not end well.
    I agree. Every player at every level has their price. No doubt there would be negotiations to be had so that any deal is the right one for the club and the player. At least a seven figure sum possibly with a sell on clause for Notts and a lifechanging wage rise for Langstaff. He seems like a well grounded, humble person so deserves whatever comes his way from his success at Notts and Gateshead. He's 25 so he's got around another three seasons until he's at his peak. For us we can only hope his goals are the extra that gets us back to the football league either automatic or playoffs.

It would not surprise me if Langstaff got to 45 goals and that's not including any playoff games because he averages nearly a goal a game and we have eight games left.

What a season it is and we have so much special quality in this team. Let's hope we can find players like Langstaff and RR in the future because they will be greatly missed when the time comes for them to leave Meadow Lane. We've not said that many times this century.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 15-03-2023 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WarsopPie View Post
    Were you sat behind me in the Pavis last night because all those blokes did was moan about the players ?
    Everyone appears to be rubbish or gone off the boil - do you think we will avoid relegation 😳

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast