+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holding on to players

Holding on to players

If the worst should happen, and we extend our stay in the National League another year. What are people’s thoughts on our ability to hold on to our best players, or will we be decimated by clubs higher up the pyramid?

N.B. I do have faith in the club finding good replacements and not Spencer-Weird-Hayley types.

If it happens in the box the ref may or may not give a penalty depending upon his mood.

Quote Originally Posted by magicianpie View Post
    If the worst should happen, and we extend our stay in the National League another year. What are people’s thoughts on our ability to hold on to our best players, or will we be decimated by clubs higher up the pyramid?

N.B. I do have faith in the club finding good replacements and not Spencer-Weird-Hayley types.
    Ruben and Macca will go. Palmer should stay unless the new contract was with a mind to increasing any transfer fee.

With our recruitment policy showing a marked improvement and money from Macca's transfer fee, there's every chance we will bring in very good players. Plus we should still have Scott who is a 20+ goal man anyway.

Of those out of contract in the summer, I can only see Ruben and Cameron turning down new contracts to play higher. Those two along with the sale of Langstaff would probably be the only three we would lose who we would rather keep. The rest would depend on who we decide to release.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_Southwell_Magpie View Post
    Of those out of contract in the summer, I can only see Ruben and Cameron turning down new contracts to play higher. Those two along with the sale of Langstaff would probably be the only three we would lose who we would rather keep. The rest would depend on who we decide to release.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same - Ruben, Macca, and Cameron will be off if we don't go up. Ruben and Macca might be off regardless of what we do.

I have faith in the club to bring in decent replacements, but I honestly think Ruben and Macca are irreplaceable. They're head and shoulders above this level, so like-for-like replacements will be virtually impossible. We'll see.

Cameron is a good player, especially in the system we play that requires two of the three CBs to push forward. But he's not irreplaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking the same - Ruben, Macca, and Cameron will be off if we don't go up. Ruben and Macca might be off regardless of what we do.

I have faith in the club to bring in decent replacements, but I honestly think Ruben and Macca are irreplaceable. They're head and shoulders above this level, so like-for-like replacements will be virtually impossible. We'll see.

Cameron is a good player, especially in the system we play that requires two of the three CBs to push forward. But he's not irreplaceable.
    I don't think that's the case at all. I think Macca might go if too tempting an offer comes in but I reckon Cameron will definitely stay. Ruben, I think wants to stay, his after match interviews I think shows he has a love for the club, I don't think he will leave on a whim, I think it would be with a heavy heart

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I don't think that's the case at all. I think Macca might go if too tempting an offer comes in but I reckon Cameron will definitely stay. Ruben, I think wants to stay, his after match interviews I think shows he has a love for the club, I don't think he will leave on a whim, I think it would be with a heavy heart
    One would assume there is a clause in Macca's contract that is a club offers X then he can leave. And I think it is fair to say given his last 2 seasons a club will offer X. Regardless of whether we go up or not I would be surprised if we keep hold of Macca. I could see a Bolton, Sheffield Wednesday, Birmingham type club ( lower champ high L1) coming in for him with money to spend. At least I assume these clubs have money to spend.

Ruben is clearly waiting to see if we can gain promotion, no promotion no Ruben. Langstaff has 2 years on his contract and surely has to go up to the Championship to get the same style of play and supply he gets at Notts in order to score the goals. Again depends on promotion and what offers are on the table if we fail to go up. Cameron and Chicksen as above depends on promotion either way I can see them moving to a L2 club.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex_Southwell_Magpie View Post
    You can add Chicksen to that list, he only signed a 1 year contract so I'd expect him to move on up if we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    If it happens in the box the ref may or may not give a penalty depending upon his mood.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast