+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NHS - a word of praise.

I waited to have cataracts done on the NHS and it was a 2 year wait.Both done within 3 months.I was quoted £900 per eye privately.

I have a cataract in my right eye (it is one my optician will recommend surgery for) but the other eye is obstinately cataract free. It would leave me with good corrected vision in the right eye after surgery but I would remain with myopia in the other eye. I don’t like contact lenses so I think my option would be to wear spectacles with one corrective lens and one purely cosmetic lens.

Hi BT. I had a groin hernia done last July- out of action for exactly 6 weeks. Most I could do in that time was boil a kettle. I had it done at the Univ Hospital of Wales here in Cardiff. In at 7.30 out at 4.30 . Couldn’t fault anyone with the whole procedure from start to finish. I was “awake” for the whole 45 minute op, having been “semi sedated”Consultant reckoned that was the best way for me. I could feel almost everything, but was never in any pain. In fact, the same evening, I went for a 3 mile walk, I felt that good. The next day, as the anaesthetic began to wear off, I was in a right old mess, and could hardly move. I had to start walking though asap, and gradually increase it on a daily basis. No driving for nearly a month as well. Good job the boss is able to drive. In that 6 weeks she was a saviour! No complaints from the NHS at all from me. I’ll never criticise them in any shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Told to report at 07.00, under the knife at 9.00 under full anaesthetic for one & half hours, woke up in recovery room, back to the ward, all tests complete, procedure done and back home safe and sound by 14.15.

Amazing kindness, totally professional anaesthetist and surgeon. Nursing staff on a different level.

I'm gobsmacked by the excellence of it all.

Rishi, just pay them what they want FFS!

Anyone else with recent experiences to share?
    You’re right BT the NHS is full of special / brilliant people who go the extra mile - took my dad a few weeks back for his eyes doing and they were absolutely above and beyond with him, even ringing me of his mobile to guide me to an entrance I could pick him up away from main entrances - basically getting my car right up To a door where he was so no chance of falls or mishaps after surgery.

Special People 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

Great to hear - BT....better in than out - and no nasty surprises.

.....thats a quick turnaround (better out than in).... was it keyhole surgery, small incision ?

No it was a full blown cut with gauze inserted to keep the bugger in which can't be done via keyhole Norder. Woke up this morning feeling like a camel has hoofed me in the guts but other than that - totally fine.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    You’re right BT the NHS is full of special / brilliant people who go the extra mile - took my dad a few weeks back for his eyes doing and they were absolutely above and beyond with him, even ringing me of his mobile to guide me to an entrance I could pick him up away from main entrances - basically getting my car right up To a door where he was so no chance of falls or mishaps after surgery.

Special People ��
    Exactly the same with me army88, I was told to take an overnight bag "just in case", they insisted a staff member had to take me to where the wife could pick me by car and even put the bag in the boot.

Special People indeed.

Take it easy mon ami, it's over two months since I had my op and last Saturday was the first time I risked standing at a football match. I was OK but I could certainly feel it the day after. The surgeon said mine was quite a tricky op, he had me back in early to check all was well and said it was and he 'thinks' I'll be OK, not sure if I find that re-assuring or not. I've to go back to see him for another check in a month or so.

Any road, is my scar bigger than yours ? Mine is just over 4 inches, how big is yours ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Take it easy mon ami, it's over two months since I had my op and last Saturday was the first time I risked standing at a football match. I was OK but I could certainly feel it the day after. The surgeon said mine was quite a tricky op, he had me back in early to check all was well and said it was and he 'thinks' I'll be OK, not sure if I find that re-assuring or not. I've to go back to see him for another check in a month or so.

Any road, is my scar bigger than yours ? Mine is just over 4 inches, how big is yours ?
    I'll measure it tomorrow when I'm allowed to take the first dressing off, I'm pretty sure mine is bigger than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I'll measure it tomorrow when I'm allowed to take the first dressing off, I'm pretty sure mine is bigger than yours.
    I've often heard 'keyhole' mentioned regarding hernia ops, if only eh mon ami.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I've often heard 'keyhole' mentioned regarding hernia ops, if only eh mon ami.
    I've a gash above my belly button that's even bigger than Angela Rayner's mom ami.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)