+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Scυnthorpe Utd. 25.03.23 [NL]

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    I find all the negativity around JB is astonishing, and probably comes from the fact he makes the difficult things look so easy. drillerpie what more do you want the man to do if putting 9 out of 10 easy to control, perfectly placed accurate passes is not enough. I doubt without his addition, we would be anywhere near as close to Wrexham that we currently are. If he could tackle better or go past players more easily, he would not be a Notts County player.
    Few, if any, of Bostock's passes lead to progress. I'll admit they usually go to someone close in a black and white shirt and that that someone else takes responsiblity by taking the ball and doing something constructive with it, like passing forward to a forward. In Saturday's game his passes nearly always went to Chicksen who then had to beat his man before doing something proper with the ball, Bostock never even tried to beat his.

About being "anywhere close to Wrexham" you must be joking! Before he came we were above them albeit us having played more games, now we're below having lost and drawn a few too many and they still have played less. I'm not saying Bostock is solely to blame but his contribution, or lack of it, is there to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Proactive not Reactive View Post
    I think he made a slow start and the left side with Cameron,Chicksen and Bostock is a little too left footed ie don’t think any of them(perhaps Chicksen) can use their right foot plus Chicksen and Bostock struggle to go past players saying that it’s horses for courses and he was steady yesterday and excellent for closing games out.
    I think that Bostock is better as the sitter(insurance) and Palmer further forward as he’s more dangerous around the opposition penalty area.
    Please tell me how a sitter (insurance) affects the game apart from sitting and insuring, I've never heard of that position before.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    I’m seriously hoping they have a chance of staying up on the last game of the season at home.
    ^^^ This ^^^

He affects the game by screening the backline, providing cover when the rest of the midfield advance beyond their opposite numbers or we overload one area of the pitch. He provides insurance. From an attacking sense this deep lying midfield playmaker instigates the start of a lot of attacking plays by being the safe and consistent link between the defenders and forward players.

Sometimes called the quarterback, yes I know it's American so detested by many on here, but it's a very apt description. This deep lying midfielder can be a more defensive type , sitting/insuring or a more attaching type playmaker/quarterback depending on the type of player and the roll he is asked to play.

I agree with PnR I prefer JB deep, with Map further advanced if both starting.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    He affects the game by screening the backline, providing cover when the rest of the midfield advance beyond their opposite numbers or we overload one area of the pitch. He provides insurance. From an attacking sense this deep lying midfield playmaker instigates the start of a lot of attacking plays by being the safe and consistent link between the defenders and forward players.

Sometimes called the quarterback, yes I know it's American so detested by many on here, but it's a very apt description. This deep lying midfielder can be a more defensive type , sitting/insuring or a more attaching type playmaker/quarterback depending on the type of player and the roll he is asked to play.

I agree with PnR I prefer JB deep, with Map further advanced if both starting.
    Thank you Laddo, but it seems like a manufactured position to me, and Bostock didn’t stand in the position you describe. I remember when we used to have centre-halves there.

No worries. PnR may feel differently, but that is my interpretation. We've had players play in this position, with this role in years gone by.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    While Bostock wouldn't be in contention for my MOM, I think describing him as 'poor' is very harsh. Like everyone else in the team he did his job well, and played his part in an utterly dominant team performance. Yesterday, every single player was 'good' at the very least.
    I thought he made quite a few mistakes. I remember the missed sitter, the back to back lunges where he was lucky not to get a card, and apart from that his performance was as I described - if he has time to set himself and play a pass in front of him it's normally a very good pass. Apart from that I found him quite ponderous and gave the ball away a lot in tight situations. I'm also not a fan of midfielders who are not very mobile but that's a general thing.

It's the parts of the jigsaw like chickson had a great season. but cannot cross a ball, cannot beat a player but still scored 10 goals in any other team this season he probably would be crap.

It is amazing how we have all these poor players in our team that are crap. I guess it is about relativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    It is amazing how we have all these poor players in our team that are crap. I guess it is about relativity.
    Agreed. Now CLE has gone, there is a vacancy for the go-to fall-guy, so it has reverted to JB

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast