+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If we reach the Play offs...

Not so sure points were lost at the start of the season , more points gained , Duff had just taken over from last seasons car crash & had to start from square one & there was no way we were ever going to hit the ground running, it takes time to build & blend a team & thats what Duff has done & to be fair he his far in front now than anyone expected

This is exactly what the ‘model’ delivers. Sell sell sell almost every transfer window and bring in new faces. We will never hit the ground running whilst turnover of staff remains at the volume it is or has been. I think the last windows delivered less disruption but was that because there were no bids for those we expected to leave? Some fringe players moved out so the next window will be interesting now that many contracts have run down.

I do agree that we are ahead of expectations on the playing front but that is despite the failings of the model. Almost all of us expect departures every transfer window just when we have gelled as a team and made some progress. I don’t see how this will change under this ownership and model

IMO we haven’t seen the pure form of the model yet.
    It was being developed - and looking great with some great recruits and sales - then Patrick had to sell presumably because of ill health.

After that the bickering within the boardroom has not enabled the model to move forward.

I assumed that Chien Lee and James were working together - that apparently didn’t happen.
    What we have now is Neerav and JAQ working with James.

I’d say that now we have members of the board singing off the same song sheet as James then we can count this season as season number one of the new ownership.

BTW - it wouldn’t surprise me to hear that the reason PMG were initially interested in Barnsley was because of the astute recruitment and sales being developed at the club.
    PMG seem to have killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    IMO we haven’t seen the pure form of the model yet.
    It was being developed - and looking great with some great recruits and sales - then Patrick had to sell presumably because of ill health.

After that the bickering within the boardroom has not enabled the model to move forward.

I assumed that Chien Lee and James were working together - that apparently didn’t happen.
    What we have now is Neerav and JAQ working with James.

I’d say that now we have members of the board singing off the same song sheet as James then we can count this season as season number one of the new ownership.

BTW - it wouldn’t surprise me to hear that the reason PMG were initially interested in Barnsley was because of the astute recruitment and sales being developed at the club.
    PMG seem to have killed the goose that laid the golden eggs.

How many golden eggs have we laid though from when this operation came into being in 2014? Name me one substantial (5million+) outgoing transfer fee where it's made a serious difference to the clubs finances.

Only one I can think of is Alfie Mawson which was a relatively large sum for us. Other than him, it's been mediocre and the club finds itself in more shyte than it's ever been in financially. When is someone at the club gonna realise that given the club has been at this moneyball system for 9 years now, we've actually gone backwards and seen little in the way of profit. It doesn't work. Simple as that. This int 9 months, it's 9 feckin years. 9 years where we've sold every saleable asset without giving two fecks about how the supporters feel. Season after season we've sold what we can with no long term outlook other than £££££. It's shyte and we now find ourselves in a promotion or bust situation.

Who at the club is the next big outgoing transfer in the offing? We've only 4 or 5 players currently in the squad who are of championship standardnand they aren't exactly world beaters either with all due respect. Certainly not with the value where its going to make a difference to our debt.

Luca Connell is potentially a good player in the making but that's all it is at present- potential in terms of playing at a level above where we are. Be interesting to see him tested at a higher level. I'm not knocking the lad by the way, he's been a very good signing and laiked very well this season but is he worth mega bucks to the club?

What about Callum Styles? Are we gonna get 5m or above for him? I doubt it.

The club has always sold players, we accept that and understand it. Unfortunately, this moneyball system totally rips the heart out of everything good at this club. We don't just lose 1 or 2 good players, we sell 4 or 5 and its too big a loss to our playing squad to build any success.

What about Michael Duff? In my opinion he's currently our biggest saleable asset and he's done a reight fekkin job. Put pride back into the supporters of this club and played some good entertaining football. Will it stop us turning down offers for him? Will it ballax.

How can we possibly build long term?

Top and bottom of it is that we need the owners to put their money where their mouth is and invest in the club rather than rely on other money off supporters and transfer fees to run their business. Speculate to accumulate? No sir, not in this life. While they can keep taking Barnsley supporters for mugs and not spending any of their own brass, they'll keep preaching how we can 'judge them by their actions' while people like you Nudger tag them as 'genius'.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    How many golden eggs have we laid though from when this operation came into being in 2014? Name me one substantial (5million+) outgoing transfer fee where it's made a serious difference to the clubs finances.

Only one I can think of is Alfie Mawson which was a relatively large sum for us. Other than him, it's been mediocre and the club finds itself in more shyte than it's ever been in financially. When is someone at the club gonna realise that given the club has been at this moneyball system for 9 years now, we've actually gone backwards and seen little in the way of profit. It doesn't work. Simple as that. This int 9 months, it's 9 feckin years. 9 years where we've sold every saleable asset without giving two fecks about how the supporters feel. Season after season we've sold what we can with no long term outlook other than £££££. It's shyte and we now find ourselves in a promotion or bust situation.

Who at the club is the next big outgoing transfer in the offing? We've only 4 or 5 players currently in the squad who are of championship standardnand they aren't exactly world beaters either with all due respect. Certainly not with the value where its going to make a difference to our debt.

Luca Connell is potentially a good player in the making but that's all it is at present- potential in terms of playing at a level above where we are. Be interesting to see him tested at a higher level. I'm not knocking the lad by the way, he's been a very good signing and laiked very well this season but is he worth mega bucks to the club?

The club has always sold players, we accept that and understand it. Unfortunately, this moneyball system totally rips the heart out of everything good at this club. We don't just lose 1 or 2 good players, we sell 4 or 5 and its too big a loss to our playing squad to build any success.

What about Michael Duff? In my opinion he's currently our biggest saleable asset and he's done a reight fekkin job. Put pride back into the supporters of this club and played some good entertaining football. Will it stop us turning down offers for him? Will it ballax.

Top and bottom of it is that we need the owners to put their money where their mouth is and invest in the club rather than rely on other money off supporters and transfer fees to run their business. Speculate to accumulate? No sir, not in this life. While they can keep taking Barnsley supporters for mugs and not spending any of their own brass, they'll keep preaching how we can 'judge them by their actions' while people like you Nudger tag them as 'genius'.

Rant over.
    Nail hit with a very large hammer .

I knew this would end up as an argument about the board and the 'model' again. 😣
    Ok then what if we do win promotion, either this or next season. I've seen some fans ask is it worth it and what's the point, because we know what's going to happen again etc.
    Well, depending on where we want to be in the Championship, I think we're capable of staying up. But that depends on a number of things, most importantly if we can keep hold of our better players, and our quality manager/coach.
    I was listening to the Hull v Rotherham match on Satdy on radio Humberside (as I was driving back home from Hornsea), and it sounded terrible. It made me think is the Championship really that hard, for a club like ours for example, who would be happy with 20th or higher ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I knew this would end up as an argument about the board and the 'model' again. 😣
    Ok then what if we do win promotion, either this or next season. I've seen some fans ask is it worth it and what's the point, because we know what's going to happen again etc.
    Well, depending on where we want to be in the Championship, I think we're capable of staying up. But that depends on a number of things, most importantly if we can keep hold of our better players, and our quality manager/coach.
    I was listening to the Hull v Rotherham match on Satdy on radio Humberside (as I was driving back home from Hornsea), and it sounded terrible. It made me think is the Championship really that hard, for a club like ours for example, who would be happy with 20th or higher ?.
    What I find amusing is that they've ended up paying way more money for the club due to these Rights Issues they've had to roll out .

If they'd invested that £6m in to the club in 2017 to sit with the £5m that was already in the club's bank account we may well be established in the championship today and looking to kick on further .

I thought that was an interesting thread you started on the Rotherham board Animal (and I commented on it).
    Along the lines of going up to the Championship, and struggling, and coming back down again. Do we really want to keep seeing that every time.
    I thought the club were harsh on Stendel, but I remember our fans were angry at the time and saying what was the point in winning promotion after all. 😩

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post

Rant over.
    I don’t think it’s a rant - it’s your opinion - but IMO I think most of it is wrong.
    A few comments:
    Firstly - every player in the world has a price.

If we get offered decent money we will sell - so will every other football club in the world.

If we asked supporters about their view’s regarding buying and selling players we would literally be playing pub football by now.

Short memories - can you remember what the policy was before Moneyball - a team full of loans and one year contract players.
    Every season a new team had to be brought in.
    The Drinkwater season was a typical example of that era - the club flying and come Christmas the midfield left the club.
    You may want the Mido years back - I don’t - and neither do the Crynes.

‘We want the owners to put their money where their mouth is.’
    That’s an astonishing statement after this weeks news - and shows a lack of understanding of what’s happening behind the scenes.

Duff is at the club - because of one reason and one reason only - because the directors employed him.

We sold players last season in the £1 million bracket. Luton paid their highest ever fee for a player - that player was from Barnsley.
    Those player were sold because they wanted to leave - and who can blame them after last season,

There still seems to be a belief amongst some supporters that all the directors are in the same boat - so all directors are responsible for what has happened since PMG took over.
    That is clearly not the case - and that’s why supporters IMO should take a big interest in what is happening behind the scenes.

It’s now apparent that since PMG got hold of the club there has been turmoil at the club.
    That came to a head last season.
    This season is a total new start for the club - so the high press Moneyball blueprint cannot be judged until we are a few seasons down the line.
    But IMO - it’s been a great start this season.
    Players and head coach doing absolute wonders - and ALL of them recruited by the directors.
    It’s totally beyond me how anyone can be negative about the club right now.

A club is only as good as its directors.
    And we have some brilliant directors.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    No argument from me Acido. Just expressing my opinion and releasing frustration. Didn't mean to go off topic.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast