+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If we reach the Play offs...

If we reach the Play offs...

I know it seems like the top two and automatic promotion is a possibility for us right now. And thinking of 'only' the Play offs instead, does feel like a bit of a step down.
    But if we do end up in them, who do we think could be the best or worst teams to play. For example, I thought Swansea were the best team for us to play a few seasons ago, because Brentford and Bournemouth were arguably better/harder teams. And we all know what happened next of course!.
    They are a lottery and league form can often be totally ignored, and I don't believe having the deciding 2nd leg at home is an advantage at all.

Financial worries aside, I’d rather finish 7th. Far better from my point of view to enjoy football in this league than be miserable every week. I’ll be in the minority, and it feels like I don’t want success for our club….. .
    If we go up…I’d be happy for the players and coaches they’ve put the shift in, and it would also possibly mean we would keep some really good developing players and coaches.
    Staying down may mean financial crisis, but I believe someone would step in and see the potential of this club. (Providing the people who at present trumpet that they want the best for this club and town would sell rather than stubbornly allow it to go to the wall) like Bury owner did.
    It’s always marketed as an entertainment business,( and this season it has been entertaining) but it really isn’t. It’s about money. Plain and simple.

I’ll be in Morocco for the play offs. (Like last time against Walsall). I think Ipswich will do us if we get them in the play offs. Derby an Bolton too.

Mixed feelings.

We go up………financially beneficial and a short term gain. And then 12 months of pain and suffering later, Here we are again in League one at square one..

We stay down, loss of revenue, coach, players.
    I don’t know what to wish for.

To answer the question though. If I could chose, I’d have Peterborough in the play offs.

That's a different argument altogether though Jules, whether you want us to go up at all, or not.
    But as for your answer, Peterbrough might be the best option as we rarely ever beat Ipswich.
    However, there could also be Wycombe or Portsmouth in there instead, and Derby seem to have blown it.

I’d go for Derby I think we are much better than them and would do them easily over 2 legs!
    Then Pigs in the final, we have done them twice with an aggregate of 6-2, so it would be great to inflict more pain on them.
    Sod’s law it will be Ipswich the only team that has beat us in a play off final……and the ones on form like they were last time.
    If it’s Wycombe I’m not going! I hate watching the crap they play.
    We will go up automatically with Ipswich anyway, so it’s all hypothetical.
    I’m with acido on this though, sometimes it feels like “what’s the point” go up or stay down we will lose some decent players and replace with untried Championship kids, possibly Duff as well and get relegated again!

Peterborough, the turd that will not flush away, would be dangerous to meet in the Play Offs. They are inconsistent and could easily score five at home and lose the second leg away.. Give me solid, predictable old Bolton or Plymouth any day.

It would have to be Peterboro for me as we seem to have their number when we play them at their gaff & fortress Oakwell should serve us well , however if Derby are in the mix I wouldn"t mind them , them like the fowls are an ageing team & over two intense legs I think we would have too much for them .

What a good idea the Play Offs are, particularly when linked to three up. three down.

When they came in in 1987 I was against them saying the team that finished third over 46 games deserved to go up. Nowadays they add enormously to the end of a season giving fans and teams outside the top two a reason to carry on dreaming.
    It is increasingly the case that winning the Play Off Final feels a bigger achievement and more exciting than going up automatically.

Assuming we finish in the Play offs.

We could end up playing Peterborough 3 consecutive games.

Would prefer playing Posh, Derby or Bolton to the current top 3 for sure, so we need to finish no lower than 4th which we will.

Final - bring it on!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Financial worries aside, I’d rather finish 7th. Far better from my point of view to enjoy football in this league than be miserable every week. I’ll be in the minority, and it feels like I don’t want success for our club….. .
    If we go up…I’d be happy for the players and coaches they’ve put the shift in, and it would also possibly mean we would keep some really good developing players and coaches.
    Staying down may mean financial crisis, but I believe someone would step in and see the potential of this club. (Providing the people who at present trumpet that they want the best for this club and town would sell rather than stubbornly allow it to go to the wall) like Bury owner did.
    It’s always marketed as an entertainment business,( and this season it has been entertaining) but it really isn’t. It’s about money. Plain and simple.

I’ll be in Morocco for the play offs. (Like last time against Walsall). I think Ipswich will do us if we get them in the play offs. Derby an Bolton too.

Mixed feelings.

We go up………financially beneficial and a short term gain. And then 12 months of pain and suffering later, Here we are again in League one at square one..

We stay down, loss of revenue, coach, players.
    I don’t know what to wish for.

To answer the question though. If I could chose, I’d have Peterborough in the play offs.
    That’s right Jules.
    If we go up we will come straight back down.
    The West Stand will be on fire.
    And Paul Conway will be our knew centre forward.

None of the play off clubs will want to play Barnsley.
    None of them will fancy their chances.
    In fact the clubs in the top 6 will currently be desperate to get into automatic to avoid Barnsley in the playoffs.

If we do go up then the cloth will be cut to suit - ie players will be brought in that will do well in the Championship.
    And if we do go up - we will finish nearer the top of the Championship than the bottom.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 03-04-2023 at 02:14 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast