+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Livingston (H) 22nd Apr

I'd be happy to give him a deal right now, however I don't think we need to rush it. He's not going to get a better offer than us anytime soon imo. He's clearly happy here and wants to stay. I'm sure the board are happy with him also. I'd expect a deal to be tied up as soon as the season is over, regardless of what division we are in next season.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I'd be happy to give him a deal right now, however I don't think we need to rush it. He's not going to get a better offer than us anytime soon imo. He's clearly happy here and wants to stay. I'm sure the board are happy with him also. I'd expect a deal to be tied up as soon as the season is over, regardless of what division we are in next season.
    I don't understand the 'regardless of what division we are in' part. He's done well and we are now 4 points clear of the bottom with 5 games to play. If we lose the next 5 games and go down are folk still going to be happy with him? I know I won't be. Hopefully it won't come to that and I'm starting to change my mind on him but I absolutely don't think we need to be throwing deals around at this point given our recent history with managers.

Quote Originally Posted by ballumbie_arab View Post
    I’ll say it again!!…..get Goodwin signed up now!!
    It just might be that we will need to get new owners signed up first, which will prevent offering Goodwin and any players contracts while that is going on. One thing's for certain, Goodwin's spell at United (so far) will be attracting attention elsewhere.

Goodwin has proved that he can get more out of less. On the down side he has history of getting less out of more. Let's hope there are mitigating reasons for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    I don't understand the 'regardless of what division we are in' part. He's done well and we are now 4 points clear of the bottom with 5 games to play. If we lose the next 5 games and go down are folk still going to be happy with him? I know I won't be. Hopefully it won't come to that and I'm starting to change my mind on him but I absolutely don't think we need to be throwing deals around at this point given our recent history with managers.
    I've thought this from day one though, when he was clearly having a big influence on players and performances, despite not getting wins. Putting it the way you have does put another spin on it however. Five defeats in a row would be some collapse. Tbh honest with you, I'd initially wrote 'once our safety is confirmed' but deleted it as I didn't want to tempt fate! 😂

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    I've thought this from day one though, when he was clearly having a big influence on players and performances, despite not getting wins. Putting it the way you have does put another spin on it however. Five defeats in a row would be some collapse. Tbh honest with you, I'd initially wrote 'once our safety is confirmed' but deleted it as I didn't want to tempt fate! ��
    For what it's worth I'm definitely coming round to his appointment and the improvement is clear to see. I'm just wary because we dived in with Fox after a couple of decent results and got very badly burned

For what it's worth I'm definitely coming round to his appointment and the improvement is clear to see. I'm just wary because we dived in with Fox after a couple of decent results and got very badly burned
    The clear difference though is he's not an unknown quantity like Fox was, he has solid Premiership experience.
    Also whichever division we're in we need a summer of stability and rebuilding. The long delay over the Jack Ross appointment and the recruitment fiasco was one major reason why we struggled early in the season.

I get that, and I made my feelings clear at the time regarding Fox. He isn't a manager. Never has been and, imo, never will be. Almost finished Cowdenbeath and would've relegated us.

I like what I see from Goodwin and am looking beyond results when I say I'd be happy for him to stay. He's bought into the football club very quickly. His demeanour on the touchline is awesome. He literally coaches each player through the game. His game management has been spot on up to now and he definitely seems to be getting the best out of our players. Fletcher scoring regularly, Niskanen looking transformed. Behich playing further up the park and looking like the Behich we saw at the World Cup. It's a breath of fresh air from the sh*te we watched before. He also doesn't strike me as a Largs manual manager.

Like I say, there's no rush to sign him up, but if we did, I'd be happy enough.

Hopefully we keep our winning run going for at least the next couple of fixtures and then it'll be a foregone conclusion anyway.

Fantastic result and performance as well. Disappointed with the Killie result but ultimately it all comes down to what we do.Simple fact is that we win our remaining games and we stay up. Simple as that.().

Had a feeling from after the Hibs win that the team that is in real danger is St Johnstone. I’m really hoping it’s them we get first after the split with a real chance to get above them. Gutted I’ll miss it though - will be in Tenerife. Will just have to find somewhere that’s got it on. Like The Ibrox Bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    The thing is if we do go down is there anyone else out there that would do a better job than Goodwin? Relegated or staying up I'd be trying to give him a contact in case we lose him to another team. For me he's proven In a short space of time to be a proper coach and manager and everything that Fox wasn't. There will be bumps in the road for him for sure and he deservedly lost his job at The Sheepies after a horrendous run of results but there is definitely something about him that tells me he is the best man for the job and is getting it right in the short term anyway considering how lightweight and unbalanced our squad is.
    Totally agree. Worse case scenario I don’t see anyone else out there who is available that has the same experience or knowledge of the game right now.

Either way he would hit the ground running and be in prime position to see and know exactly what we require as a team moving forward.

Also he doesn’t strike me as the sort of man that will drag out any business required or would be happy to leave transfers until last minute during the transfer window. I have no doubt JG will already have a good idea of what he wants etc.

I would definitely be putting a 2 year contract together now.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)