+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: ❎Fans' Player of the Season voting now open

It’s a shame we have to pick one player as most would normally have done enough to win this any other year.
    Matty Palmer for me. His consistency had been incredible and I can’t remember him having a poor game all season.

They are all heroes. Team of the season?

It's a tricky one. Langstaff for sheer quality, Palmer for total effect on the team/season.

I'd say Macaulay couldn't have done all he's done without Palmer's work, but Matty could have... therefore Palmer gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I fully expect Macca to get it too. Palmer is the first name on the team sheet for me , and he's Mr 90 mins as you suggest.

However f there was no Palmer in the side all season, let's say we had Bostock instead I would wager he still scores 25+ goals this season, possibly 30+ with the talent that surrounds him in the squad.

I know the point you are getting at but I wouldn't ever suggest Macca is involved for only 90 seconds or 9 mins of any game. He's relentless in his movement both when we have the ball in defence or midfield and when the opposition have the ball in their defence.

He defends from the front and oh he does the recognised hardest thing in football 'scoring a goal'... Lots.
    It’s hard to dispute that Macca wouldn’t score goals without Palmer in the side seeing as he banged in 30(?) last year as well. Whilst I appreciate the achievement in scoring an amazing amount of goals, we barely see him in games….what did he do against Wrexham or Woking? The tireless running and pressing can easily go unnoticed for sure but compared to Palmer who simply has to perform every game, I don’t think he has achieved as much.

I know that’s not easy to corroborate but what value do you put on Palmers ability to receive the ball under pressure and from shocking passes to alleviate danger, to break up play before it has even begun, setting the tempo for the whole side, his vision, range of passing and tackling? A strikers achievements are very tangible but a player like Palmers are less so….how can you value his contributions like a goal scored?

At risk of sounding like a Matty Palmer fan boy, which I suppose I am, I’d say that he’s the most valuable (not in a cash sense), talented and consistent player in the side. He’s the best player we’ve seen in black and white for a long long time, I wouldn’t like to say in how long though!

I’d swap Macca for Mullins at the drop of a hat if I’m honest, I wouldn’t swap Palmer for anyone in this division.

Whoever scores the winning goal at Wembley. (Chicksen)

Interesting comments and I agree with a lot , I am also a huge fan of Palmer is absolute quality and consistency personified. However there are bits I have to question.

"The tireless running and pressing can easily go unnoticed", it can but really shouldn't because it has a positive impact on the team's performance all season. It's resulted directly in a few of those 41 goals

What did he do in the Woking and moreso the Wrexham game? Not a lot other make selfless runs and close down, which is what he does every game as our latest signing made a point of praising in his post match interview.

The question has to be why not? Where was the service at the racecourse, did his teammates create good chances or even half chances for him? I can only think of one tbh. Now look over the season and think of all the service his had and how he's turned that into a club and league record breaking number of goals. Still the hardest thing to do in football.

I personally think Palmer has an easier time than anyone of being involved in games, because our approach is clearly to play through him, so he's on the ball lots. Why? Because he's our second most talented player so why wouldn't you. It's also how LW wants to play.

I don't know Palmer's goals and assists this season but I suspect they are surprisingly low for both. Why? Because he often has started deeper, does the simple passes, starts moves and sets up assists for others but you can't totally ignore the stats. It's the above reason why I also think he has the easier time of performing well, which he no doubt does to an incredibly consistent level. Should he have a few more goals and assists to his name? Probably.

My only criticism of Palmer is he loses far too many duels, he's not good at tackling , not strong and often comes out second best in those scenarios. But that's it, nowt else poor in my eyes.

If Palmer wasn't at Notts this season, Langstaff still gets 30 odd goals which alone has him well in the running for the player of the season, and probably wins it. But he doesn't have 30 odd he has an eye watering 40 odd meaning he's consistently scored goals all season. Which is incredible in itself.

Finally I agree he , like RR and Langstaff are all incredibly hard to replace. A game where we don't start with Palmer is a game I instantly have concerns about. That surprise contract extension was hugggeeeee in my opinion, great work from the Bros. And if that's fawning over the owners, happy to as it's the latest bit of good business they have done.

Totally agree with all the comments on here and it’s a great debate towards the end of a fantastic season. I voted on the Notts site and gave a lot of thought to whether it should be Palmer or Macca, Ruben also in my thoughts as he really is the spark in so much of our forward play. In the end as brilliant as Palmer has been once again this season the recognition, imo, has to go to the player who has broken so many records. Without those 40+ goals we could never have pushed the Wrexham money machine so close, and still may pip them to the post ��. If the vote allowed a joint selection I may have gone for both, but really is Macca for me (but he still needs 4 more for my selection on the goals thread).

After thinking for a few days, the player of the season could mean a few things.
    We have been lucky to have so many players who have had good seasons, but the 2 standouts have been Palmer and Macca with Ruben just behind them - all for different reasons
    Palmer has been the most consistent player
    Macca has been the leading goalscorer with a phenomenal amount of goals
    Ruben has been our most creative player
    Nemane has been our best wing back
    Baldwin has been our best central defender

If Macca had scored 20 goals I would have gone for Palmer but 40 goals plus for Macca is outrageous and why there is talk about requiring 1 million pound bids to take him away from us which no other player in any other position in this league would have clubs considering making a bid like that.
    Basically goalscorers are gold dust and the biggest difference between teams doing well and not - so Macca for me

Yes, it’s been a good debate….and how refreshing to have so many candidates worthy of the accolade as opposed to scratching around to find the least duff option!

Laddo and others have obviously made a very strong, understandable and obvious case for Macca to win the award and if he wins it then I’ll be delighted for him. Breaking the records he has is probably (rightfully) why he will win the award but at risk of contradicting myself I still think Palmer is more deserving!

The award is subjective to a large degree, we all have our favourites and some will vote for their favourite regardless of what kind of season they’ve had I imagine. What makes a player worthy of being player of the season though?

For me, the player of the season is the player that is indispensable to the team, who without what happens on the pitch and how the team is setup to play just wouldn’t be possible. The player of the year could be in any position but without them you are just not the same team.

I know I’ve made that argument to suit my ‘agenda’ but there is only one player in this squad we can say that about and that is my main man, Matty Palmer - Mr-8/10!

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    Yes, it’s been a good debate….and how refreshing to have so many candidates worthy of the accolade as opposed to scratching around to find the least duff option!
    I was thinking something similar, namely how strange it feels when thinking about Palmer to remember when we were all being gaslighted into believing a very old Michael Doyle was a Rolls Royce of a National League midfielder!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast