+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Non-League football makes sinkov and Supersub happy

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    The mysteries of Non League promotion and relegation Sub, way beyond me, although I can't imagine they'd put Ashington in the West Division which is monopolised by Manchester, Merseyside and Cheshire clubs, Clitheroe would be your local derby. I wouldn't worry about Glossop, I would expect Ashington to be too good for them.

I didn't bother going to Workington, I never expected us to win there, and we duly didn't. Next season is going to very lonely for Clitheroe, due to promotion and relegation over the last 2/3 years we no longer have games against Kendal, Lancaster, Bamber Bridge, Padiham or Radcliffe, leaving just Colne and Rammy a short drive away, now they've both been relegated and there are no local teams replacing them. Every away game next season will involve leaving home by 1pm and not getting back until well after 6pm. It's a real shame, the fun has gone out of it if I have to spend 3 hours plus on a Saturday afternoon in the car, I think I'll be sticking mainly to the home games.
    Burnley will be playing in the EPL next season, and it's only 12 miles away from your front door. UTC#

Attachment 24051

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Burnley will be playing in the EPL next season, and it's only 12 miles away from your front door. UTC#
    It has occurred to me, if there are still STs available, like Sub I'll have to consider it. I much prefer non league, but there are no local away games next season and with the gates at Clitheroe having gone up from 200-250 to 700-1000 it's no longer a case of strolling up at 2.55 and buying a pie and a pint as and when you felt like it.

Nothing stays the same does it.

Me and the wife and our youngest grandson had a few days last spring up in Northwest Cumbria. We took in a Workington game, I was amazed at how good they were. A father and son who live in Workington but hold season tickets at Turf Moor and sit two rows away from me. I asked them recently why not stay home and watch their home team? The reply was, "It's not the same is it?"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Me and the wife and our youngest grandson had a few days last spring up in Northwest Cumbria. We took in a Workington game, I was amazed at how good they were. A father and son who live in Workington but hold season tickets at Turf Moor and sit two rows away from me. I asked them recently why not stay home and watch their home team? The reply was, "It's not the same is it?"
    The standard is high, Clitheroe have had four ex-league players in their squad this season, and most of the others have been on the books of league clubs early in their careers but just not made it. Black-holers in other words.

The standard is high, Clitheroe have had four ex-league players in their squad this season, and most of the others have been on the books of league clubs early in their careers but just not made it. Black-holers in other words.
    Exactly the same with Ashington with young guns who have been given the push by local clubs running their Academies but who still want to play. It is great to have them on board because many others are lost to the game because of this stupid Academy system.
    How did players like George Best, Jimmy Mac, Frank Worthington, Dennis Law, Bobby Charlton etc. etc. ad nauseam, ever make the grade without attending Academies?

In fact make it five, I've just remembered another one, he was playing in the Bradford City first team at 16, got injured and sucked into the Black Hole.

Hey sinkov, just got back from Glossop after clinching promotion with a 3-0 win and a smashing display against them. We were right into them from the start and scored a goal after about 20 minutes and never really looked troubled after that. Two further goals in the second half clinched it in torrential rain which, had it arrived earlier in the game could well have led to an abandonment.
    I have driven home, a three hour journey and I am still wet through but very happy.
    Clarets won as well so it must be another bottle to open.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Hey sinkov, just got back from Glossop after clinching promotion with a 3-0 win and a smashing display against them. We were right into them from the start and scored a goal after about 20 minutes and never really looked troubled after that. Two further goals in the second half clinched it in torrential rain which, had it arrived earlier in the game could well have led to an abandonment.
    I have driven home, a three hour journey and I am still wet through but very happy.
    Clarets won as well so it must be another bottle to open.
    Good stuff Sub, as you will know Glossop finished 3rd bottom of our division so I wasn't expecting them to give your lads any bother, I reckon Stan would put them away no bother as well. Does this mean you're in the NPL East next season, and traipsing down and up the A1(M) every other Saturday ?

Good stuff Sub, as you will know Glossop finished 3rd bottom of our division so I wasn't expecting them to give your lads any bother, I reckon Stan would put them away no bother as well. Does this mean you're in the NPL East next season, and traipsing down and up the A1(M) every other Saturday ?
    It certaiinly does mean a number of trips up and down the A1(M) and quite a lot of new grounds to visit, however, c'est la vie.
    It will be interesting to see how many new players are signed, although there will be some from North Shields who are not happy that they have been relegated because they ignored the ground improvements which they needed to complete!

Rochdale return to non league footie, gone are the days of re-election from which they used to profit (before our almost demise).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)