+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Watt

Quote Originally Posted by weegiearab View Post
    I think there is also the problem of him being tied to us until 2025! For us to get rid, we will need a buyer and someone to pay a transfer fee! I can't see too many people willing to put their hand in their pocket. The next option would be for the club and TW to agree to rip up his contract and he moves for free. I think that he is enough of a pr^ck to want to cause us as much financial damage as possible and would knock back any club offering money. I would also think that Goodwin could get a tune out of him...but my preference would be for him to go to St Mirren and we could get a swap deal. There must be some young talent at that club!
    That's assuming St. Mirren want him. One goal in eleven games. He hasn't lasted a full 90 minutes yet. The contract situ is definitely a sticking point. I'd cut our losses. By all accounts he's earning a pretty penny and has earned absolutely f*ck all of it, whilst with us.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    He's on his 14th club in 14 years. He's played for half of the clubs in the Premiership. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the boy has a problem. Not a single manager of any of these clubs has been able to tie him down long term. I didn't want him signed and I don't want us to keep him. He's lazy, unfit and has a serious attitude problem.
    Also this!

Yip...he ain't exactly putting himself in the shop window but his comments about the club recently, whilst we are still picking up his wages, would suggest that he doesn't intend on being anywhere near Tannadice next season. So with that in mind, he has either been guaranteed a move to St Mirren or he has been told that we are going to rip up his contract. It absolutely kills me that we are paying most of his wages and ain't likely to get any benefit whatsoever out of it. Couldn't even manage to beat Killie for us...t@sser!!

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    That's assuming St. Mirren want him. One goal in eleven games. He hasn't lasted a full 90 minutes yet. The contract situ is definitely a sticking point. I'd cut our losses. By all accounts he's earning a pretty penny and has earned absolutely f*ck all of it, whilst with us.
    Agree. So annoying. Back in McLean's golden era the club spent a lot of time researching a player's attitude before signing them. Tony Watt would not have passed that test.

Also, he was not the type of 'striker' that was needed at the time.

I hope the days of random signings are in the past. I want the manager to be the guy to identify what he needs and who he wants. Then the 'recruitment team' take over and try make it happen.

The model that Aberdeen, United and Hibs have been using with regard to recruitment doesn't work. Jettison ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by cybershed View Post
    Agree. So annoying. Back in McLean's golden era the club spent a lot of time researching a player's attitude before signing them. Tony Watt would not have passed that test.

I hope the days of random signings are in the past. I want the manager to be the guy to identify what he needs and who he wants. Then the 'recruitment team' take over and try make it happen.

The model that Aberdeen, United and Hibs have been using with regard to recruitment doesn't work. Jettison ASAP!
    We didn't need to research his attitude. It's well know the boy is an absolute f*cking rocket.

I'm not sure I agree on the model not working. More likely the recruitment department not being good enough. Aberdeen have some very good players in their team. They clearly have a far better recruitment team than we do. Goodwin was in the press gushing over their head of recruitment the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by cybershed View Post

Agree with this. Also having to sign players in Transfer Windows doesn't work either. Get them away to phuck. Say you get an injury to a key player during the season, you have the funds to wheel and deal but out with the Transfer Windows. Fans are short-changed. Go back to being allowed to go throughout the season up until transfer deadline day doing transfers or swaps.

It’s totally down to Goodwin in my opinion if he is in charge next season

Watt is not a bad player. He scored the winner at St J and he can make things happen in matches.

The problem is obviously the attitude.

Goodwin has got a tune out of a lot of players - suspect he might be able to do something with Watt if we do keep him

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    It’s totally down to Goodwin in my opinion if he is in charge next season

Watt is not a bad player. He scored the winner at St J and he can make things happen in matches.

The problem is obviously the attitude.

Goodwin has got a tune out of a lot of players - suspect he might be able to do something with Watt if we do keep him
    14 clubs tells it's own story, many different managers have tried and failed. Cut him loose, wave bye bye and use his wages to improve the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabdownsouth View Post
    14 clubs tells it's own story, many different managers have tried and failed. Cut him loose, wave bye bye and use his wages to improve the team.
    If we cut him loose we may not have his wages to pay anyone as he'd be due them all for the length of his contact.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    If we cut him loose we may not have his wages to pay anyone as he'd be due them all for the length of his contact.
    This my concern. I’m not wanting to pay his contract up - better see what Goodwin can do with him

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)