+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home form going into play offs

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I can see thi point mate and no offence intended on how you deal with setbacks from a personal point of view.
    No offence taken mate , this club's given me some of the best moments in my life and I'm hoping for a few more .

The gut wrenches I can do without but unfortunately as tha sez you have to ride the rollercoaster .

We certainly have enjoyed recent seasons in the Third Division coming between the relentless grind and defeats in the Championship.

Stendel went all season undefeated at Oakwell. He had a better squad and just let them play.

Duff has arguably done better, if not better to watch, by coaching what is on paper a more limited squad into a squad programmed to win games in the Third Division.

Many teams coming here could have been beaten by Pen istone Church but Duff has also beaten the top six teams here recently so credit to him and the players.

Ipswich have also won nine home games on the trot and have only lost four all season so Tuesday should be a cracker. Fortunately they will probably go up automatically so we will not face them in the Play Offs.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 23-04-2023 at 12:45 PM.

The play offs this season to me are a free hit & of course I want us to succeed but given that no one being honest expected us to do anything this season but for me personally it has been fantastic & really enjoyable but if we fail so what , I would personally enjoy another crack at the automatics next season under Duff , the only slight problem with that of course is that fans expectation levels will have gone up & tolerance which has been shown this season by the fans might be in short supply should we hit a dodgy patch , you have only got to look at the Wendies for what I mean, they have above 90 points yet they are screaming for a managerial change simply because of their expectation levels.

Theyre massive shads and shouldnt, in their eyes, be playing penniless Billy Caspers like us every week.
    In their opinion they are too big for the league above as well.

Deluded!

This is where the home wins will end though, as we have a pathetic record against Ipswich. 😩
    Its been an excellent run though and look at where its put us in the table. When we thought we'd be challenging for 6th at best, we're now assured of 4th at least, and could still make the top two.

But I agree though that form and results during the season shouldn't really count, when it comes to the Play offs.
    I wish there could be some sort of seeding in them, so the 3rd and 4th teams have the extra advantage. I/we don't know who we're going to play yet, but all 4 teams do start them on an equal level.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    It's not that simple though Pass for me personally with all due respect .

It's very difficult as we've seen for this club to come back better after losing these type of games .

When the final whistle went at Wembley in 2000 you knew the golden era was over , you knew Craig Hignett had played his last game for us and you knew John Curtis wasn't going to sign permanently .

You knew in 2008 we weren't going to get another opportunity at playing in the FA cup final , we'd blown it .

You knew Val's season was a one off and we'd never get this close again to a return to the PL .

If we don't make this season I think we all know what could potentially happen .

I could be wrong and we miss out this season but next season we end up winning the league under Duff and add the little bit of extra quality we need in the summer .

I wouldn't be putting too much brass on that outcome though given recent history .
    Well personally none of those thoughts went through my head while walking away from Wembley in 2000.
    My only thought was two good teams could only be separated by the quality of the Ipswich goalkeeper.

As for your other points - it’s going to be the latter suggestion.
    Stronger next season.

No names mentioned - but can you remember some of the supporters negativity leading up to last Januarys window.
    Every player plus the kitchen sink was going to be sold.
    Did it happen …….. No.
    As I said at the time - if a bid comes in that the club believes is a good price then players will be sold - but other than that, no one will be sold.
    And we would be stronger after January than we were before it.

After the disaster of last season and resultant relegation the supporters need to remember what the objective of the directors was for this season 22/23.
    TO CONSOLIDATE.
    That is to say to steady the ship.

There was no mention of pushing for promotion.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 23-04-2023 at 07:05 PM.

And there you have it, Animal and Pass, you can see where this thread is heading now can't you. Like every other thread on here ends up.
    Get ready then for another tedious lecture about our owners and our finances, and target strikers again etc. 🥱

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Well personally none of those thoughts went through my head while walking away from Wembley in 2000.
    My only thought was two good teams could only be separated by the quality of the Ipswich goalkeeper.

As for your other points - it’s going to be the latter suggestion.
    Stronger next season.

No names mentioned - but can you remember some of the supporters negativity leading up to last Januarys window.
    Every player plus the kitchen sink was going to be sold.
    Did it happen …….. No.
    As I said at the time - if a bid comes in that the club believes is a good price then players will be sold - but other than that, no one will be sold.
    And we would be stronger after January than we were before it.

After the disaster of last season and resultant relegation the supporters need to remember what the objective of the directors was for this season 22/23.
    TO CONSOLIDATE.
    That is to say to steady the ship.

There was no mention of pushing for promotion.
    When did they say the objective was to consolidate this season ?

I haven't seen that , can you provide a link to support that claim , or are you speculating again ? .

I can remember you believing Chien Lee when he said we'd be stronger after the championship play off season .

Took 6 months before you realised he'd had your trousers down .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    When did they say the objective was to consolidate this season ?

I haven't seen that , can you provide a link to support that claim , or are you speculating again ? .

I can remember you believing Chien Lee when he said we'd be stronger after the championship play off season .

Took 6 months before you realised he'd had your trousers down .
    Well I’d like to debate and answer your questions Animal.
    But due to certain other comments I’m going to have to decline.
    So dont get the impression I’m ignoring the post.
    Last edited by Young_Nudger; 23-04-2023 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Well I’d like to debate and answer your questions Animal.
    But due to certain other comments I’m going to have to decline.
    So dont get the impression I’m ignoring the post.
    Code for--

I won't be able to find the statement because it was never made.

Conway (Arseoyle) did say on the stage of the Fanzone prior to the Stendel second season home game to Luton Town (24th August 2019) that "We are here to consolidate our Championship status and then take our ambition further".
    Last edited by SBRed48; 24-04-2023 at 07:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast