+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Clarets v Robins Match Preview.

Clarets v Robins Match Preview.

Clarets v Robins Match Preview.
    Venue: Ashton Gate Stadium, Ashton Road, Bristol BS3 2EJ.
    Kick-off – 15.00 – Saturday 29th April 2023.

The Robin’s final home game of the 2022/23 season will unquestionably provide the usual carnival atmosphere for two teams who have different title wins to celebrate. Burnley will arrive as the newly crowned Championship winners while Saturday will also provide the Ashton Gate faithful an opportunity to celebrate the success of City Women, who secured the Barclays Women's Championship title last weekend. Reasons to be cheerful then!

Josh Brownhill who has had a fantastic season with the Clarets returns to Ashton Gate where that cantankerous old warhorse of a football manager Nigel Pearson awaits. The Robins’ boss has promised his team will be fully prepared, fit and ready to provide a stern test for Vincent Kompany’s table toppers. A good game of football is in prospect.

Will the Clarets want to hit the 100 points benchmark. Two wins from their final two games would see them finish on 101 points – a remarkable tally considering the challenges the Championship constantly provides, especially this season with the enforced World Cup November break fiasco. Bristol City have finished in a safe mid-table league position with 56 points accrued, where the Robins’ players may be excused if they are already packed and ready for the beach.

It remains to be seen just when the Championship winner’s trophy will be presented to the Clarets, for my part I hope it’s against Cardiff City next weekend at Turf Moor.

One’s to watch: Former Claret Nahki Wells and his partner in crime Tommy Conway have bagged 11 goals apiece this season, for the Clarets Manuel Benson is currently scoring spectacular goals for fun, but goals can come from just about anywhere. I expect Jay Rodriguez to start the game and score.

Verdict: The options Vincent Kompany has had for match selection was unparalleled in the Championship this season and therefore I expect him to select a strong starting eleven. I cannot see past a 2-0 win for the Clarets to bring them tantalisingly close to the 100-point tally to close out a marvellous season for Burnley Football Club.

Footnote: Sincere congratulations to Sheffield United for securing promotion alongside the Clarets to the English Premier League. Two already up and one more to join the promotion party. I cannot help but think Luton Town might just make up the promotion trio.

An opinion and post from the Editor of Clarets Mad.

Attachment 24052

thanks BT.

Bristle have nothing to gain, lose or sway, other than the prestige of a victory against the champions, also under no pressure, other than making the century, meaning both teams could field their ball boys, it wouldn't matter any.

Dithering, dull, wasteful and sloppy....but took the points.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)