+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. York City FC 29.04.23 [NL]

But does Luke Williams' philosophy differ? When you see the shift that Langstaff, our main attacker, puts in game in game out without the ball , it strongly suggests it does. In fact the complete opposite, our 42 goal man works tirelessly when the opposition has the ball.

Ruben the same, great workrate for our most flair , attacking player. Austin, very similar

Workrate and defending from the front, seems to me, to be in LWs blueprint all season long.

In this current starting XI, would you have Roberts ahead of Ruben or Austin?

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    But does Luke Williams' philosophy differ? When you see the shift that Langstaff, our main attacker, puts in game in game out without the ball , it strongly suggests it does. In fact the complete opposite, our 42 goal man works tirelessly when the opposition has the ball.

Ruben the same, great workrate for our most flair , attacking player. Austin, very similar

Workrate and defending from the front, seems to me, to be in LWs blueprint all season long.

In this current starting XI, would you have Roberts ahead of Ruben or Austin?
    I would have Roberts ahead of Austin, purely because he could produce that bit of magic that would win us the game. But i would have liked to see all 3.. Here's a scenario for you. When we signed Macca from Gateshead he was playing on the wing, If that was still the case now, would LW expect him to play wingback??

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    As for Cal Roberts, he had/has the ability to a lesser degree obviously of a Robertson or Grealish but would you take him ahead of Rodrigues or Austin in the system and approach LW adopts. I don't think I would. Yes he can beat a man, made things happen and when on form (pre injury) he was almost unplayable at times. A joy to watch. However there was the other side to his game which wasn't so appealing, defensively non existent, moaned too much for me, and I suspect doesn't work hard enough or with enough responsibility off the ball from LW.
    That's all based on the assumption that Luke Williams wouldn't have improved the all round game of Cal Roberts.

I think Luke Williams deserves more credit than that.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I would have Roberts ahead of Austin, purely because he could produce that bit of magic that would win us the game. But i would have liked to see all 3.. Here's a scenario for you. When we signed Macca from Gateshead he was playing on the wing, If that was still the case now, would LW expect him to play wingback??
    No. Was he playing on the wing as a winger in a 4-4-2 or 4-2-4. Or was he in a 3-5-2?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That's all based on the assumption that Luke Williams wouldn't have improved the all round game of Cal Roberts.

I think Luke Williams deserves more credit than that.
    Luke Williams deserves all the credit in the world right now, and still does regardless of the outcome of the playoffs IMHO.

I have absolutely no doubt LW would improve his all round game (as he has done with many other players at his disposal) , it wouldn't be hard with Roberts tbh. He was as durham suggested an attacker who liked to attack and was very good at it, especially before any injuries.

The question then would be, would Roberts have bought in and transformed his game sufficiently when not on the ball to satisfy the head coach's obvious approach? We will never know.

How much did we reportedly get for Roberts? I can't remember the figure at the time of his departure.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314